Home » Other » Marketplace » Ways to become an ORACLE DBA?
Ways to become an ORACLE DBA? [message #366091] Mon, 13 November 2000 20:52 Go to next message
job_seeker
Hello.
Could anyone can give me any piece of advice how to be an ORA DBA?
I just passed the first OCP exam and working on admin exam now.
The problem is I can not easily find entry level Oracle jobs and I'm getting worry about it. Can anyone give me any advise, so I can cheer up?
Thanks.
Re: Ways to become an ORACLE DBA? [message #366154 is a reply to message #366091] Fri, 15 December 2000 22:58 Go to previous message
tin man
I am a Oracle DBA since version 5. You are not going to find Entry-Level Oracle DBA positions in the newspaper or through a head-hunter.
A bit of advice, is to find a company looking for an Oracle dba and somehow get into their IS department. Any entry level position, even application support work. While you are studying for the OCP and working in IS make friends with the Oracle DBAs and/or the Oracle manager. If you get along they will give you a chance sooner or later.
I also know that some companies hire E-L people with a 2 year commitment, these have become hard to come by also. Rarer these days than 5 years ago.
Stop looking for an Entry-level Oracle DBA. The companies who can afford Oracle can afford spending the money to hire a 4+year experience Oracle DBA or consultant. Companies don't like training junior Oracle DBA even at $20k a year because they ALL end up jumping ship in 1-2 years. Its not worth their investment.
Previous Topic: Oracle Financials Consultant Required in California
Next Topic: ORACLE DBA in AUSTIN, TEXAS!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:31:38 CDT 2024