Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » LINUX AS A O/S FOR ORACLE
LINUX AS A O/S FOR ORACLE [message #368006] Mon, 27 September 1999 11:05 Go to next message
m a sivan
There are some topics running on NT/UNIX and NT/LINUX.
I just wanted to know that how powerful is LINUX
compared to our traditional UNIXes like

Solaris/ IBM AIX/ HP UX / Sequent Dynix etc...

NO marketing stuff I just want to appreciate the techical stuff. Like FILESYSTEM handling/ Networking etc..

All views are welcome
Re: LINUX AS A O/S FOR ORACLE [message #368008 is a reply to message #368006] Wed, 29 September 1999 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas
I Installed it several times for different Customers and sometimes migrated the NT-DB´s on it. My experiences are:
- I´ve never seen a blue screen on the linux-Machine ( ;-)) )
- It is about 30% faster (on the same Machine)
(Believe it or not - try it !!!)
- It saves Money
- No clustering is actually possible
- Support is not as good as for the other OS´s
(missing experience, critical for Productional applications)
- Except of the Support I cannot see a difference
to the other UNIX`s.

Try it ! Get a copy of the Freeware CD.

Regards, Thomas
Re: LINUX AS A O/S FOR ORACLE [message #368033 is a reply to message #368008] Wed, 03 November 1999 08:58 Go to previous message
Gos Emmanuel
I have Oracle running on several Linux RH 5.2 6.0 6.1. And to be honest, as a NT administrator too, I prefer to run Oracle on Linux for backup, remote support and operationnal point of view. The fact is that Linux in terminal mode (without windows managers) has less program to support so you use your machine for Oracle and not for GUI. Now on the support point of view it is clear that you don't have a phone support (Red Hat has a phone support product). But, just take a look in the different news groups or Oracle site like here. I didn't had a question I was not able to answer.

Not very technical, but it is an approch from a guy who know NT and Linux.

E.
Previous Topic: SQL Loader and Binary Data Files
Next Topic: export/import split compressed files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:44:03 CDT 2024