Home » Other » Training & Certification » What to do about masters degree
What to do about masters degree [message #378932] Fri, 02 January 2009 14:25 Go to next message
james3302
I have my Bachelors degree in CIS from DeVry University. Graduated in 2002 and just found a job in Oracle as a Database Analyst in 2007. I originally tried to get into computer programming but had no luck. I was told that since I did not have any work experience they would not hire when went to job interviews for programming. I got in at this company with no work experience so I told myself that when I start getting experience in something I will stick with it.

So I am thinking about getting my master to try and find another Oracle job or get a nice raise where I'm at now. DeVry does not look real good as my resume so I was thinking of going to GA Tech for my masters. My other options are Georgia State University, Kennesaw State University. They are all about an hour away from where I work and I would have to attend class 2 times a week. Now NC State University offers an online masters in Computer Science, but I was told that CIS would look better. Plus since I took CIS for my Bachelors I think that I would not be able to get into the CS program.

So my questions are.
Are there any ranking of colleges that offer CIS? I've seen the rankings for CS.

Would a masters in CIS look better than a masters in CS? I'm wanting to be a DBA or maybe progammer if I get the chance.

Would I be getting my masters too soon since I only have 1.75 yrs work experience?

Oh and I live an hour away from ATL and I think that's one reason why it's hard for me to find a job. But I live 30 mins away from Chattanooga.

Re: What to do about masters degree [message #378997 is a reply to message #378932] Sat, 03 January 2009 15:35 Go to previous message
james3302
Anyone have any thoughts, advice??
Previous Topic: client server
Next Topic: SAS sample code programs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:36:23 CDT 2024