Home » Other » General » bcp or copy (10g)
bcp or copy [message #423493] Thu, 24 September 2009 13:31 Go to next message
beetel
We are deciding whether to implement a BCP (Business Continuity Program) or simply create a copy of the production either through logs.
Our ETL server is pretty unstable, so as a contingency, we are thinking whether to opt for BCP or simple import. If BCP, we are not planning to run the ETL loads daily (as in the primary production server) - but once a week. Once a week to reduce support - that is monitor the primary daily and the BCP only once a week. However, there is a probability of data discrepancies between the 2 servers. I asked the DBA the cost of just creating a back-up of production daily - but he mentioned about logging mode (active and passive). He said that it will be more expensive applying the logs since data will be in millions. I was lost after that. Can anyone tell me what is this logging mode and active/passive concept all about?

Re: bcp or copy [message #423639 is a reply to message #423493] Fri, 25 September 2009 16:32 Go to previous message
andrew again
BCP (Business Continuity Plan) is concept. It's all about being able to continue your business after some disruption to your business. It covers how people will communicate, where they'll work from and how you'll recover your network & systems if they've been impcated etc...

Some companies replicate their Oracle transaction logs to a secondary site where they have a standby database which gets updated by each transaction log file from the primary DB. See Oracle's dataguard for this. The option you choose will be determined by many factors, starting with how soon the second database needs to be up and available and back to some sufficiently recent point in time based on when the primary went down. If you only refresh weekly, and your primary goes down 1 day before the secondary DB is refreshed, then that means that your secondary DB will be 6 days old. How long will you have to re-apply the 6 days worth of data to get it up to date?
Previous Topic: ORA-22813: operand value exceeds system limits
Next Topic: database search application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:21:54 CDT 2024