Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Transparent Application Failover(TAF) at Application Layer (Oracle 10.2.0.3 , Linux ES4 , X86_64)
Transparent Application Failover(TAF) at Application Layer [message #428157] Tue, 27 October 2009 06:46 Go to next message
rsreddy28
Hi All,

We are having 2 node RAC in 10g on Linux x86_64. we want to implement the TAF concept at the Application layer . But our Application Team are saying that their applications do not support Transparent Application Failover(TAF).

I read that as of now TAF supports only Selects and OCI interfaces , if that is the case how can RAC-TAF is advantageous to the Application Team as they are the one's who do the core work. Because I'm referring to any ASP.net,Informatica,Cognos applications as their Team are of the view that TAF does not support them.

Is there any method where RAC-TAF can be enforced at the Application Layer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere .

Thanks
Re: Transparent Application Failover(TAF) at Application Layer [message #428174 is a reply to message #428157] Tue, 27 October 2009 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Quote:

>>But our Application Team are saying that their applications do not support Transparent Application Failover(TAF).

Why? Is there any proof you have ??

TAF - Incease any one of node goes down you can access database from another node.

>>I read that as of now TAF supports only Selects and OCI interfaces

Link please.

- Babu
Re: Transparent Application Failover(TAF) at Application Layer [message #428206 is a reply to message #428174] Tue, 27 October 2009 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsreddy28
When the Application owner's themselves are saying that their applications do not support failover , how do you want me to prove.

And the limitations with TAF , doc id : 97926.1 in metalink clearly shows them and some of them are as below:

Sql*Plus
OCI8 and clients built using OCI8
Re: Transparent Application Failover(TAF) at Application Layer [message #428218 is a reply to message #428206] Tue, 27 October 2009 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Quote:
When the Application owner's themselves are saying that their applications do not support failover. how do you want me to prove

Okay. Ask to your application owner.

>>And the limitations with TAF , doc id : 97926.1 in metalink clearly shows them and some of them are as below

This document may not apply to oracle version 10g. As per my understanding TAF should be work. Also some third-party available for load balance check it
Re: Transparent Application Failover(TAF) at Application Layer [message #428234 is a reply to message #428157] Tue, 27 October 2009 09:28 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
TAF works only with OCI/connection and session pool as of 11gR1 (Methinks, though I could be blatantly wrong).
>> Is there any method where RAC-TAF can be enforced at the Application Layer.
Not sure what you mean by "enforcing" an un-supported feature.
May be you are looking into FCF (Fast Connection Failover) which supports .net and jdbc. Not sure about the other apps though.
Still you may want to define and refine what exactly you are looking into.
Previous Topic: ASM IN ORACLE 10G
Next Topic: Listener issue in node2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:00:05 CDT 2024