Home » Infrastructure » Linux » migrate a large database from 9i windows to 11g or 9i linux (Linux ubuntu 9.04)
migrate a large database from 9i windows to 11g or 9i linux [message #436871] Tue, 29 December 2009 05:00 Go to next message
lassaad

Hello,

I have a large database (a table containing more than 10,000,000 lines) which runs on Oracle 9i on Windows 2003.

I wanted to migrate to Oracle 11g on ubuntu 9.04 and a ton of problems have been started, then:

1 - I installed successfully oracle 11g on ubuntu and oracle 9i on ubuntu (I wanted to test the 2 paths)

2 - on the database of origin, I just have DUMP file of 30 G with export FULL

3 - I started the import with ignore = y and there are problems of tablespaces, I knew he must create them manually and I could not identify all them, and they are as tablespaces obligatories ? my dump file is not manageable (almost his size of about 30 G)

---> My question here: is that all tablespaces are mandatory or not? And how create a tablespace (and what is temporary or??)

4 - I forgot to say I chose the option not to import everything but just dump the tables in my user concerned

5 - A second strategic question: What are the steps necessary to migrate a 9i database in windows to linux 9i or 11g linux?

6 - I have an application that uses windows 9i, there will have there any connection problems after migration?

7 - when importing to 11g and 28 hours after, this error message and almost 40 tables have not been imported:

"unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace USERS"

---> I understood that I will muste extend DATA file or another one but I don't know the sizing required!

8 -import 9i Linux has created these problems below but it is still functional:

"inserted value too large for column"
"tablespace 'WTABS' does not exist"

---> Is it better to cut and resolve these problems, or?

so this is a bit of everything

I await the light of the experts.

Thank you very much.

Lassaad MATHLOUTHI.
Re: migrate a large database from 9i windows to 11g or 9i linux [message #436883 is a reply to message #436871] Tue, 29 December 2009 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Precreate the tablespaces in target.
>>I knew he must create them manually
Only with a full export and import will try to create the datafiles in same path.
Just precreate the tablespace(the same size as in source) and users.
Export with compress=n.

Next time please post what you did instead of explaining it.
Post the exact commands, output /errors.
Re: migrate a large database from 9i windows to 11g or 9i linux [message #436911 is a reply to message #436883] Tue, 29 December 2009 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lassaad

hello,

thank you for your reply

Now I have this error :

"unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace USERS"

I understand that I need to increase the size of data file or create a new one but I dose not understanding how much
size must be indicated.

and this error :

"tablespace 'WUSR' doses not exist"

thank you again.
Re: migrate a large database from 9i windows to 11g or 9i linux [message #436914 is a reply to message #436911] Tue, 29 December 2009 08:27 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I dose not understanding how much size must be indicated.

As said,
Just precreate the tablespace with the same name and SIZE as in source database.
>>"tablespace 'WUSR' doses not exist"
Same. Precreate WUSR tablespace before import.
Previous Topic: cp command
Next Topic: Tape struct in tape drive
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:36:39 CDT 2024