Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Find out Process doing maximum I/O (Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 on HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64)
Find out Process doing maximum I/O [message #457957] Wed, 26 May 2010 09:42 Go to next message
chetanaZ
Hi,

how can i found the a process which is doing lot of I/O in HP-UX?

since we have multiple Oracle instances on same unix server sometimes it is difficult to find out the process with most I/O by retriving session doing max disk reads

Also there is possibilty that such process may not be related to Oracle

two days back while I was restoring database it suddenly got slow, I checked using 'sar -b' and observed that 'bwrit/s lwrit/s' fall during certain period but could not find out the process cauing this

could anybody help me on this?

Thanks and Regards,
Chetana
Re: Find out Process doing maximum I/O [message #457958 is a reply to message #457957] Wed, 26 May 2010 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I don't have an HP-UX around to demo.
In past, this tip has been very useful.
http://yong321.freeshell.org/freeware/pio.html
Re: Find out Process doing maximum I/O [message #457974 is a reply to message #457958] Wed, 26 May 2010 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chetanaZ
Hi Mahesh

Many Thanks for the quick help. The article mentions exactly what I was looking for

1 query here (HP-UIX specific)

The article instructs following for pio
    a) download pio.c and copy at /usr/local/bin
    b) cc -D_PSTAT64 -o pio pio.c

Will I follow the same instructions for topio i.e. save as '.c' and call 'cc -D_PSTAT64 -o topio topio.c'?

I assume I will be able to do this as Oracle user

Thanks and Regards,
Chetana
Re: Find out Process doing maximum I/O [message #457980 is a reply to message #457974] Wed, 26 May 2010 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Not sure. Depends on your environment (the HP-UX C compiler). You should be able to compile and atleast have it in your oracle path (instead of /usr/local/bin). I always have root account, so never bothered to check Smile.
Talk to your sysadmin. If this is a production box, ask sysadmin to do this.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Find out Process doing maximum I/O [message #457992 is a reply to message #457980] Wed, 26 May 2010 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chetanaZ
Thanks Mahesh

I will ask sysadmin though it seems difficult that I will be allowed to use such 'external' utility at client place Smile

BTW I haven't much worked on HP-UX, but I think many might have struggled to get following results directly from OS commands

1) process doing maximum I/O
2) process consumimg most of the memory

For the 2nd Tom Kytes answerd in his forum that he would look in sesstat rather than OS level

But sometimes we find oracle processes are fine and some other process is eating memory etc which needs sysadmin's intervention
or external utility access

Thanks for your help

Regards,
Chetana
Re: Find out Process doing maximum I/O [message #458037 is a reply to message #457957] Wed, 26 May 2010 22:45 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>how can i found the a process which is doing lot of I/O in HP-UX?

SQL> desc v$sess_io
 Name					   Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 SID						    NUMBER
 BLOCK_GETS					    NUMBER
 CONSISTENT_GETS				    NUMBER
 PHYSICAL_READS 				    NUMBER
 BLOCK_CHANGES					    NUMBER
 CONSISTENT_CHANGES				    NUMBER
 OPTIMIZED_PHYSICAL_READS			    NUMBER
Previous Topic: sql script help
Next Topic: Executable runs on Solairs 9 but failed on Solaris 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:45:18 CDT 2024