Home » Other » General » Data Dictionary to Wiki (All evarything I suppose)
Data Dictionary to Wiki [message #475443] Wed, 15 September 2010 03:27 Go to next message
ThomasG
I'm currently catching up on some documentation, and have to (well, not really "have to", but it would certainly reduce the times they have to call me) include table descriptions and such into a Wiki so that they are searchable and browsable by our help desk.

My thought was to create a template for each application table based on the table, column and comment views in the data dictionary that could then be included in a category and also in any relevant article.

I can probably whip it up in a few hours, but I want to avoid bragging about it in a few days, just to get "Hey, why didn't you just use $STANDARD_SCRIPT that everybody else uses, stupid" comments Very Happy

Has anyone done/used/seen anything like this before?
Re: Data Dictionary to Wiki [message #475789 is a reply to message #475443] Fri, 17 September 2010 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
OK, just for the record:

It was pretty simple to write something using PERL, MediaWiki::Bot and MediaWiki::Bot::Plugin::Admin to create and update pages based on data from Oracle queries.

I did have a look at some MediaWiki extentions like External Data, but the problem with all of then was that while they allow you to embed external data form various sources into a page at display time, the data itself can not be found if you search for it from the Wiki search page, so that didn't fit my requirements.

Attached is the part of the script that actually creates the wiki tempate for one table that I integrated into another script we already had.

• Attachment: dd_synch.txt
    (Size: 1.83KB, Downloaded 2007 times)
Re: Data Dictionary to Wiki [message #476004 is a reply to message #475789] Mon, 20 September 2010 10:12 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Sounds interesting! It would be great if you can let such a script lose on our wiki.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: Cursor sharing = exact / similar
Next Topic: Error 302: Component must be declared
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:50:35 CDT 2024