Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » unable to login after successful installation
unable to login after successful installation [message #484996] Sat, 04 December 2010 17:33 Go to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I used to have 10g Express Edition on another computer and I used to have access to Application Express over the internet on somebody else's computer. I currently only have access to Application Express at http://apex.oracle.com. So, I thought I would install Application Express on the laptop that is currently running Oracle database 11.2.0.1.0 on Windows 7 Professional.

I downloaded the latest version of Application Express 4.0.2 for all languages, unzipped it, changed my working directory to the Apex directory, connected sys as sysdba, ran the apexins.sql installation, and apex_epg_config.sql and apxconf.sql configuration, and apxchpwd.sql to change the admin password, and copied the images, and ran EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETHTTPPORT(8080), and a few other things per the instructions (account unlock and such).

It looked like everything went O.K. When I was done, the installation log did not have any errors and said what the troubleshooting guide says it is supposed to say:

Thank you for installing Oracle Application Express.

Oracle Application Express is installed in the APEX_040000 schema.

The structure of the link to the Application Express administration services is as follows:
http://host:port/pls/apex/apex_admin (Oracle HTTP Server with mod_plsql)
http://host:port/apex/apex_admin     (Oracle XML DB HTTP listener with the embedded PL/SQL gateway)

The structure of the link to the Application Express development interface is as follows:
http://host:port/pls/apex (Oracle HTTP Server with mod_plsql)
http://host:port/apex     (Oracle XML DB HTTP listener with the embedded PL/SQL gateway)

JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES: 1000

The status also shows valid. According to the troubleshooting guide, either the entry in the log or valid status constitutes a successful installation.

When I use my browser (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12) and go to http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin I get a screen that says:

Enter Application Express internal administration credentials

and has boxes for a username and password. When I enter admin and the admin_password that I selected, then click on login nothing happens. I don't get logged in. I don't get an error message. It does not show any signs of anything running. It just sits there. If I go to http://localhost:8080/apex then I get a regular apex login menu that asks for a workspace, username, and password, but I can't use that since I have not set anything up through the admin. I checked that the services were running and even tried shutting down then re-starting the computer (cold boot).

I am a retired developer, not a DBA, so if there is anything else that I should do or check or provide, then please let me know. I have provided a copy and paste of everything that I could think of below. Oddly I don't see an admin user.

SQL> select * from v$version
  2  /

BANNER                                                                          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production    
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production                                          
CORE	11.2.0.1.0	Production                                                      
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production                         
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production                                          

SQL> select status from dba_registry
  2  where  comp_id = 'APEX'
  3  /

STATUS                                                                          
--------------------------------------------                                    
VALID                                                                           

SQL> select dbms_xdb.gethttpport from dual
  2  /

GETHTTPPORT                                                                     
-----------                                                                     
       8080                                                                     

SQL> select username, account_status
  2  from   dba_users
  3  where  username = 'ANONYMOUS'
  4  or     username like 'APEX%'
  5  or     upper (username) = 'ADMIN'
  6  order  by username
  7  /

USERNAME                       ACCOUNT_STATUS                                   
------------------------------ --------------------------------                 
ANONYMOUS                      EXPIRED                                          
APEX_030200                    EXPIRED                                          
APEX_040000                    OPEN                                             
APEX_PUBLIC_USER               OPEN                                             

SQL>

Re: unable to login after successful installation [message #485029 is a reply to message #484996] Sun, 05 December 2010 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I didn't understand what this means: "and copied the images". Did you run apxldimg (parameter is your Apex 4 installation directory)? Without it, I was unable to connect to Apex. Output might have been like this:
SQL> @apxldimg C:\5_apex_instalacija\apex4

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

old   1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as '&1/apex/images'
new   1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as 'C:\5_apex_instalacija\apex4/apex/images'

What Apex admin password did you choose? I *think* that I had problems until I chose password that contained: capital letter(s), numbers, "special" characters (such as underline). For example: "Barb123_" *should* be OK.

Also, check whether your browser window is really empty. Maybe you'll notice tiny "Error on page" (JavaScript?) message in one of browser's bottom corners.

Also, perhaps you could try to login via Internet Explorer.
Re: unable to login after successful installation [message #485037 is a reply to message #485029] Sun, 05 December 2010 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Hi Littlefoot,

Thanks for responding.

The instructions said that, on Windows, you could just copy and paste the images through Internet Explorer, so I initially copied and pasted from my <oracle home>\apex\images directory to my c:\apex\apex\images directory, selecting yes when prompted and asked if I wanted to replace the existing files. After reading your post, I ran the following, but was still unable to login:

SQL> @apxldimg c:\apex

old   1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as '&1/apex/images'
new   1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as 'c:\apex/apex/images'

Directory created.

Commit complete.

timing for: Load Images
Elapsed: 00:03:16.11

Directory dropped.

SQL> 

I initially used admin_password for the admin password, just trying to keep it simple, figuring I could change it later. After reading your post, I changed it to Admin_Password1, but still could not log in, so I tried the Barb123_ that you suggested, but still could not login.

I looked over the browser window carefully and did not see an error message or anything, even in the browser's bottom corners. I also tried Internet Explorer with the same result.

I looked through the installation instructions again and double-checked some things, but am still not able to login.

Unless you or somebody else has some other ideas, I think I will just give up and settle for continuing to use the Apex that Oracle provides over the internet. It would be nice if Apex could be installed using the universal installer that checks all the requirements, does everything it can automatically in the proper order, and prompts for user input, instead of being such a complicated mess.

Re: unable to login after successful installation [message #485046 is a reply to message #485037] Sun, 05 December 2010 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what else to suggest. These were issues I met while upgrading Apex to 3.2 and 4.0. Though, my database is 10g XE, Windows XP Professional. Apex works just fine over here.

I'm pretty much sure Firefox isn't a culprit (unless its settings prevent Apex to run correctly (any "firewall" or "pop-up blocker" turned on, perhaps? I can't tell, I don't use Firefox)) as I know that Denes Kubicek (your Oracle ACE fellow) (do you know he's from Croatia; for some 20 years he lives in Germany?) uses Firefox.

I don't have Windows 7 so I can't tell anything Apex installation on that operating system.

I'm sorry you couldn't make it work ...
Re: unable to login after successful installation [message #485047 is a reply to message #485046] Sun, 05 December 2010 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I do have pop-up blockers and firewall. Windows blocks some things and I have Norton 360, which blocks some things as well. However, these things usually display a message when a pop-up window or anything else is blocked, then I can click on it, view the details, and decide if I want to un-block it. No such message has been displayed.

I don't know Denes Kubicek or anything about him.
Re: unable to login after successful installation [message #485106 is a reply to message #485047] Mon, 06 December 2010 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
The problem has been solved and I can now login as admin. Apparently the problem was associated with the images. I think I probably messed up the images with my initial manual copy and paste of the images through Windows Explorer, before running the apxldimg script. I also had not specified the image path. So, I ran c:\apex\apex\utilities\reset_image_prefix.sql with /i/, then unzipped a duplicate copy of the files to c:\temp instead of c:\apex, then with my working directory still c:\apex\apex, re-ran apxldimg c:\temp, then was able to login as admin and reset the password. Please see the link below for details:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9195938
Re: unable to login after successful installation [message #485123 is a reply to message #485106] Mon, 06 December 2010 05:28 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
So it was about images, after all!

I'm glad you solved the problem.
Previous Topic: Importing from Development install to production "runtime only" installation
Next Topic: Increase Varray size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:31:21 CDT 2024