Home » Other » Client Tools » SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality
SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495379] Fri, 18 February 2011 10:37 Go to next message
firefly
Hi,

I want to install SQL Developer on a server but don't want the user to be able to store passwords by checking the "Save Password" box. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,
F
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495381 is a reply to message #495379] Fri, 18 February 2011 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I want to install SQL Developer on a server
There is *NO* justification for having any GUI development tool installed on DB Server; especially any Production server.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495382 is a reply to message #495381] Fri, 18 February 2011 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
Please note, it's not a DB server and it's not a production server.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495387 is a reply to message #495382] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Anyway, there is no reason to install a GUI on a server, it should be ONLY on a client workstation.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495389 is a reply to message #495387] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
Thanks Michel. If I was to install this on a client workstation, how would I disable the "Save Password" functionality as I don't want the passwords saved for security reasons.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495391 is a reply to message #495389] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>If I was to install this on a client workstation, how would I disable the "Save Password" functionality as I don't want the passwords saved for security reasons.

Even if YOU could disable such a feature, there is NOTHING to prevent somebody else from enabling this feature. Right?
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495394 is a reply to message #495391] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
That's essentially what I'm asking. How do I disable this settings...is there a setting/switch in the installation perhaps to disable this setting? If you don't know that's OK too, as I can always raise an SR
Thanks,
F
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495401 is a reply to message #495387] Fri, 18 February 2011 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 18:10
Anyway, there is no reason to install a GUI on a server, it should be ONLY on a client workstation.

Regards
Michel

What is this "Client Workstation" you speak off?

We have FOUR "Client Workstations" in a company of 1500 people for dire strait emergencies (like complete power loss to all redundant data centres), the rest is working on provisioned terminal servers sessions and thin clients.

We don't use SQL*Developer here, but some similar tools. Those tools store passwords in the user registry. What we have done is installed the software, created all the needed accounts for the users in that install, then blocked write access for the the users to that registry keys. Although how to to it *exactly* in your environment might be better answered in a OS specific forum.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495692 is a reply to message #495394] Tue, 22 February 2011 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
firefly wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 18:37
That's essentially what I'm asking. How do I disable this settings...is there a setting/switch in the installation perhaps to disable this setting? If you don't know that's OK too, as I can always raise an SR
Thanks,
F

I must say that the answers (except for ThomasG's) clearly show the total lack of understanding typically displayed by tunnelvisioned DBAs.
Firefly comes to the Client Tools forum, a forum dedicated to ask questions about client tools, which include GUI tools and NOT just and only sqlplus, and he gets whacked. His question is a very valid one, even displaying the fact that he gave security a good thought.
The fact that one person (an admin) can change a setting does not automatically mean that every other person can change it back.

Alas, firefly, I don't know the answer either. You might want to look into making the xml file which stores the connections read-only, but that would mean that users also cannot add connections.
Good luck and don't let the grumpy old folks get you down!
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495747 is a reply to message #495692] Tue, 22 February 2011 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
Hi Frank.

Yes, the ONLY reason I am interested in this is from a security perspective. We are actually arranging for a support vendor to be able to remotly diagnose issues. For this they have asked for a query tool to be able to have a read only view of the data. We are OK with this but don't want anyone else (e.g. our helpdesk) logging onto this PC or server and being able to query the data...hence why I would prefer to diable the storing of passwords. I'll raise an SR and revert with the details. The other option I can see is thata the password for the vendor company is reset everyime they dial-in, but this is a bit more admin.

Thanks,
Firefly.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495749 is a reply to message #495747] Tue, 22 February 2011 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
It may be an idea to come at this from other security angles rather than just storing the password.

Accept that they can store a password for a connection, then give that user nothing but create session and create a [series of] password protected role[s] they need to activate to actually view any data. As an example.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495750 is a reply to message #495749] Tue, 22 February 2011 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
Thanks a lot for that - I'll certainly look into it.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495795 is a reply to message #495750] Tue, 22 February 2011 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knw15pwr
I have not used SQL developer. But such a feature is present in TOAD. Wherin, the admin role can set preferences for all the other users that may use toad - which includes disabling the save password feature.
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495819 is a reply to message #495795] Tue, 22 February 2011 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
Thanks for that - we use Toad also so can use that as a fall back - extra license though!
Re: SQL Developer - Disable "save password" functionality [message #495820 is a reply to message #495819] Tue, 22 February 2011 08:43 Go to previous message
Roachcoach
You could also give them sql*plus.

Probably not be very popular though Razz
Previous Topic: repeat last series commands in SQL PLUS
Next Topic: Creating Sequence Value After Data Import
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:34:11 CDT 2024