Home » Infrastructure » Unix » ZFS and UFS (DB11.2, Solaris 2.10, EMC Clariion)
ZFS and UFS [message #507024] Thu, 12 May 2011 04:52 Go to next message
John Watson
Hi - we are commissioning a new system, the storage I'm testing is ZFS.
I've been going through the Oracle white paper "Configuring Oracle Solaris ZFS for an Oracle Datgabase". I don't understand it all. If anyone is using ZFS, some questions:
What have you set filesystemio_options to? I can't work out if enabling direct i/o is good, bad, or impossible with ZFS.
What about enabling the ZFS compression option? I would have thought it would reduce the disc i/o hugely, but the white paper doesn't mention this.
Overall, do you think ZFS performs better or worse than UFS?
And any hints for tuning the EMC layer?

Re: ZFS and UFS [message #507068 is a reply to message #507024] Thu, 12 May 2011 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Last time I checked, ZFS does not support directio.

The one time limited testing I did with ZFS compression was not bad at all and comparable (if not better) to UFS. But
it was not a "real test".
I don't have numbers to support the claim right now as I was just playing with it a little while before.
Solaris Containers/Zoning is something in top to-do list. Just have to find time for it.

Edit: Added some links

http://blogs.oracle.com/roch/entry/zfs_and_directio
http://blogs.oracle.com/glennf/entry/where_do_you_cache_oracle

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2011 06:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ZFS and UFS [message #507078 is a reply to message #507068] Thu, 12 May 2011 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thank you for replying. When you say the compression was OK, is that regarding the space saving (which I'm not interested in) or performance? I'm wondering if the performance would improve through the reduced i/o, in the same way that it does with the Advnaced Compression EE option.

I know I should test this myself, but we have limited time available, and I'm using every minute trying to tune up the export/import cycle.

Re: ZFS and UFS [message #507100 is a reply to message #507078] Thu, 12 May 2011 08:03 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Space saving. I don't recall testing anything about performance.

Thanks.

Mahesh Rajendran
Previous Topic: FTP Problem
Next Topic: Root user
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:25:18 CDT 2024