Home » Other » General » Oracle Support Pricing after Hardware Change (Oracle Database Enterprise Edition)
Oracle Support Pricing after Hardware Change [message #548841] Mon, 26 March 2012 10:51 Go to next message
bCunningham
Hi,

I have a few questions about Oracle support that I hope somebody with experience can answer.

I see there is a difference in support/licensing cost between POWER5 processors and other processor types (using the Oracle processor core factor table]) and I needed to know what would happen in the case of an equipment upgrade to a processor with a lower Oracle support fee (for Oracle Database Enterprise Ed).

Due to factors outside of my control, I cannot get the answer from an Oracle sales representative. It is a long story but that has proven to be nearly impossible, so I've landed here. I am just looking for someone with first-hand experience in upgrading their servers, and the impact to their Oracle licensing/support costs.

Here are the assumptions in my situation:

-Customer currently has IBM equipment with POWER5 processors. They use Oracle Database Enterprise, which is licensed and supported.

-Customer wants to buy HP equipment with a Xeon E7-4850 processor. They will be purchasing the HP equipment to replace the POWER5 servers, so they will still need Oracle Database Enterprise Ed.

Here are the questions:

1. Does the customer need to buy new license when upgrading to new hardware with a different core factor?

2. Can the customer get the lower support costs associated with the new servers without paying for a brand new set of licenses? Or does the support cost follow the license?

The goal is for the company to save a lot of money in Oracle support cost by buying servers with the lower core factor but I am not sure how this works.
Re: Oracle Support Pricing after Hardware Change [message #565599 is a reply to message #548841] Wed, 05 September 2012 08:07 Go to previous message
vincentH4357
I saw a section in oracle related to this subject. Forwarding the link to you, hope this may help....
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf
Previous Topic: How To Control Perl.exe File
Next Topic: using mysql (merged 5)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:19:07 CDT 2024