Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Making backups with Oracle VSS writer
Making backups with Oracle VSS writer [message #551536] Thu, 19 April 2012 01:47 Go to next message
swaorclser
Hello All,

I am going through the Oracle VSS writer , trying out various methods. Just keen to know if this is the right place to ask VSS related questions as I could not find any post related to VSS.

Question:

For Volume based VSS shadow copy backups for a logged database, I am unsure about the restore method using VSS writer. Also oracle doc does not mention any steps for volume based restore of a logged (archive log mode db) database.

Can someone kindly give me some pointers to it?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks & Regards,
-swaorclser
Re: Making backups with Oracle VSS writer [message #551544 is a reply to message #551536] Thu, 19 April 2012 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
Also oracle doc does not mention any steps for volume based restore of a logged (archive log mode db) database.
Not true! It is all in the Database Platform Guide for Windows
Re: Making backups with Oracle VSS writer [message #551546 is a reply to message #551544] Thu, 19 April 2012 03:59 Go to previous message
swaorclser
Thanks for your reply.

But, I am afraid that I could not find the required information in that doc. Sad
I have gone through the Database Platform Guide for Windows,
there is component based restore steps mentioned for Archived logged database but restore of a volume based backup is not mentioned.

However, both, volume based and component based restore methods are mentioned for NOARCHIVELOG database.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks & Regards,
-swaorclser
Previous Topic: RMAN Backup Failed
Next Topic: rman recovery problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:02:37 CDT 2024