Home » Server Options » Data Guard » How to test a Standby Database
How to test a Standby Database [message #51704] Sat, 08 June 2002 11:12 Go to next message
Soumen Ghosh
Hello,

We have created a primary database for production purpose and created a standby database following the exact method documented in Oracle's Standby Database manual.
Both the databases are running perfectly. One in primary mode and the second in standby read-only mode.
But how do I check that fail-over happens correctly? How do I make the primary database fail?
And after the primary database fails, how does the Standby activate? If I were connected to primary database using SQL-Plus, would my connection automatically be taken over by the Standby database?
Any idea is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Soumen Ghosh
Re: How to test a Standby Database [message #51705 is a reply to message #51704] Sat, 08 June 2002 20:46 Go to previous message
ejyothi
hey Souman,
actually there are couple of different ways to answer your question,

Just for the purpose of testing, you can very well crash the primary dATabase, in the sense you can shut down the primary database by using shut down abort option. that is nothing but a primary database crash. so now all the users connected to the primary database will no longer be able to talk to the primary database. now you should be able to make the users talk to the secondary database. this you can do it by doing the gracefull switch over.
this is some thing very interesting aND I will be very soon publishing a white paper on the implementation of the standby database procedure including the maintenance of the stand by database, this I will doing with two other authors who are extremly good in the field of database administration.
Previous Topic: Standby Database - Urgent
Next Topic: Enabling Archivelog in 8i (Receiving "Managed standby" Error)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:01:29 CDT 2024