Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Manual failover to standby db without RAC and DG? (Oracle DB 11.2.0.2, HP-UX 11.32)
Manual failover to standby db without RAC and DG? [message #584324] Mon, 13 May 2013 00:34 Go to next message
aboodlardy
Hi

I would like to know if it is possible to create a failover setup without RAC and DG
For example:

I have 11.2.0.2 database (with EBS 12.1.3) on dbnode1
I would like to create another node to failover my primary datbas in case of any failure.

Steps i will follow:
1: creat dbnode2
2: install same os as dbnode1
3: install same oracle as dbnode1
4: share dbnode2
database between dbnode1
and dbnode2

Now, if hardware fails on dbnode1, can i manually failover and start my database on
dbnode2?

I know we can do with RAC and DG,
BUT without RAC and DG If not possible, Kindly explain me, why i cannot do it (TechnicallY)

Re: Manual failover to standby db without RAC and DG? [message #584354 is a reply to message #584324] Mon, 13 May 2013 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I think what you are describing would mean mounting the database storage on node dbnode1, and then in the event of a problem unmounting it from dbnode1 and re-mounting it on dbnode2. That is certainly possible: it is the way Oracle Fail Safe works under Windows. You would need to think about using, and relocating, a virtual IP address and hostname.
Re: Manual failover to standby db without RAC and DG? [message #584362 is a reply to message #584354] Mon, 13 May 2013 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
Yes John,
This is exactly what i meant but for HP-UX not for Windows.
I read that Oracle Failsafe is specific to Windows.
Is there any similar solution for unix.

I check with oracle they say, it is doable but i need to know any best practices
and thinks to be considered seriously.

Regards,
Re: Manual failover to standby db without RAC and DG? [message #584365 is a reply to message #584362] Mon, 13 May 2013 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
In your first post, you asked if it possible. I told you that it is. Now you say that you had ALREADY asked Oracle about this, and got the same answer.
So now you have the same answer twice. How many more times do you want it?

I've described the general technique, think about it and have a go.
Re: Manual failover to standby db without RAC and DG? [message #584401 is a reply to message #584365] Tue, 14 May 2013 00:06 Go to previous message
aboodlardy
You did not get me question, i was asking about best practices.
Regarding asking same question multiple times,One of a kind DBA asked me to check with Oracle. Hence ,Before you could answer, i got the answer form Oracle.

Anyways thanks for your unkind help.
Previous Topic: Cluster in Oracle RAC
Next Topic: SPECIFY NETWORK INTERFACE USAGE" SCREEN DOESN'T SHOW BOTH INTERFACE CARD DETAILS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:05:16 CDT 2024