Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » expdp impdp vs RMAN backup restore
expdp impdp vs RMAN backup restore [message #607448] Thu, 06 February 2014 12:53 Go to next message
anncao
New to oracle, I worked on SQL server environment before to restore production database to test for developers to work on it using backup and restore method in SQL server.
But I see in our new oracle environment, someone set up like this:
using expdp and impdp script to restore production database to test database.
I know oracle also has RMAN that can backup and restore.
So not sure why they use expdb and impdp vs RMAN restore method.

Any pro and cons of each?
Thanks
Re: expdp impdp vs RMAN backup restore [message #607451 is a reply to message #607448] Thu, 06 February 2014 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=expdb+and+impdp+vs+RMAN
Re: expdp impdp vs RMAN backup restore [message #607456 is a reply to message #607448] Thu, 06 February 2014 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
rman is a physical backup .. a backup of the blocks that make up the data files.

export/import is a logical backup .. essentially the ddl and dml needed to recreate and populate the objects within a database.

rman can restore the database starting with nothing (well, nothing but the backups themselves) and continue through the last, most recent, committed transaction.

import requires a functioning, healthy database as a starting point against which ddl and dml can be executed. The preferred/best method for refreshing a test database from a prod database will depend on your needs. I have some databases that I regularly refresh from an export, others I regularly refresh from an rman backup.
Re: expdp impdp vs RMAN backup restore [message #607457 is a reply to message #607456] Thu, 06 February 2014 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Well, I'm an (somewhat) old geezer and still a little partial to the third option you have, Online User-Managed Backup. Which has become more interesting in the last years, depending on your underlying storage system.

For example, or database is store on a NetApp storage cluster. When I need a new test Instance I can switch the production DB into online backup mode, take a FlexClone of the database files, and switch the backup mode off again. That takes ~5 seconds. Then I can mount that clone on the test instance and start the test database up. That way we usually only need ~10GB of additional delta blocks in the storage over the day for having a test instance of a ~850GB database.

And it's done in ~30-40 seconds from the moment I decide I need a snapshot to the point where the cloned test instance is running.
Re: expdp impdp vs RMAN backup restore [message #607461 is a reply to message #607457] Thu, 06 February 2014 16:24 Go to previous message
John Watson
Thomas, this may be off topic (but possibly still interesting). Have you looked at cloning databases using Direct NFS and copy-on-write? I think it must use the same underlying technology that you are using, but all managed from within the Oracle environment. I recorded a demo of it here,
http://skillbuilders.com/webinars/webinar.cfm?id=91&w=oracle-clone-tutorial
Previous Topic: RMAN Duplicate Issue
Next Topic: RMAN backup path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:02:26 CDT 2024