Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RESETLOG (alter database open) (Oracle database )
icon4.gif  RESETLOG (alter database open) [message #607804] Wed, 12 February 2014 03:03 Go to next message
sankarg304@gmail.com

Here as per my knowledge I am asking, May be my concept also wrong, So clear me If you know any answer correctly.
1) After issuing ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOG command, what will happen in background?
2) After issuing RESETLOG command, it is possible to retrieve the old files or backup of archived files from ARCHIVE LOG.
3) In which are the conditions we can use this command "ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOG"
4) If we restore or recovered the control file from the text backup or old backup, then the old redo log and archive log will be usable or not usable
5) If I creating the control files manually means ,old redo and archive log will be usable or not
6) Archive log files information stored in where, whether control file or?
7) Redo log files are ordered by SCN numbers so only oracle can easily retrieve the old files using SCN, like- Archived files ordered by what? And how oracle retrieving the files for the particular time from the archived logs.
Re: RESETLOG (alter database open) [message #607806 is a reply to message #607804] Wed, 12 February 2014 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Post what you think and we will tell you what is wrong in your understanding.

Re: RESETLOG (alter database open) [message #607821 is a reply to message #607806] Wed, 12 February 2014 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sankarg304@gmail.com

Thanks for your response,

1) After issuing ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOG command, what will happen in background?
my ans: the oracle will start with the SCN from 01 and also in redolog group,
2) After issuing RESETLOG command, it is possible to retrieve the old files or backup of archived files from ARCHIVE LOG.
my ans: Archive logs are the backup of redo log, So once we reset the SCN means the archive log also not reusable.
3) In which are the conditions we can use this command "ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOG"
my ans: after restoring the control files and incomplete recovery.
4) If we restore or recovered the control file from the text backup or old backup, then the old redo log and archive log will be usable or not usable
my ans: I think possible, because the control files have the SCN numbers.
5) If I creating the control files manually means ,old redo and archive log will be usable or not
my ans: No, because there is no SCN in control files
6) Archive log files information stored in where, whether control file or?
my ans: I think in control files.
7) Redo log files are ordered by SCN numbers so only oracle can easily retrieve the old files using SCN, like- Archived files ordered by what? And how oracle retrieving the files for the particular time from the archived logs.
my ans: online Redolog file backup is the archive log,but I dnt knw how oracle fetch the data frm d archive log...
Re: RESETLOG (alter database open) [message #607835 is a reply to message #607821] Wed, 12 February 2014 08:15 Go to previous message
John Watson
The first one:Quote:
my ans: the oracle will start with the SCN from 01 and also in redolog group,

Query v$database.current_scn and v$log.first_change# before and after the RESETLOGS to confirm or devy your hypothesis.

Most of your answers can be tested.
Previous Topic: RMAN backup path
Next Topic: RMAN recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:02:49 CDT 2024