Home » Server Options » Replication » How to replicate data ? (9.2.0.8)
How to replicate data ? [message #608652] Fri, 21 February 2014 13:48 Go to next message
Amine

Hi all,
We have a central database, an Oracle 9iR2 DB, accessed by 20 regions in the country through the network (private network, not the Internet).
The database is accessed through a Client-server Forms 6i application. The application works fine in the central region except that it is very slow in the 20 th regions.
The access is slow, the authentication is slow, a simple search is slow (F7,F8 takes about 2 minutes).
Now to remove the slowness, we think about two options : the network option and the replicated database option.
And we want to think about the 2nd one.
Here it is :
The central database remains. We create 20 databases in each region. Each region sees its own data.
Writes on the DB (insert, update, delete) are done in the central database and in the 20th other databases.
We want to replicate writes from the central database to the 20th regions and from the 20 th regions to the central database all in sync.

To realize that, I heard about GoldenGate but I think there is much simpler than that. Could any one advice about how to do this (the best way) ?

Thanks in advance,

Amine
Re: How to replicate data ? [message #608653 is a reply to message #608652] Fri, 21 February 2014 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Now to remove the slowness, we think about two options : the network option and the replicated database option.

if you do not really know why it is slow or where the delay is being introduced, then you are just guessing about what needs to change to make it faster.

>Writes on the DB (insert, update, delete) are done in the central database and in the 20th other databases.
If writing to single central database is slow today for most regions,then why do you expect writing to 21 different databases will make the application faster?
Do you expect that above can be done without any modification to existing application code?

Too bad your imagination greatly exceeds your technical knowledge.
Re: How to replicate data ? [message #608654 is a reply to message #608652] Fri, 21 February 2014 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Much simpler? Unfortunately no.
With 9i, it was called as Multimaster Replication.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96567/repoverview.htm#12015

It is going to cost you much more with just licensing. I would first look in the performance issues.
Get better bandwidth / Optimize your database.

Re: How to replicate data ? [message #608656 is a reply to message #608654] Fri, 21 February 2014 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amine

In my thinking, users of each region will connect to their database and writes will be replicated through archive logs. Then, in the central database, there will be less work.
Re: How to replicate data ? [message #608657 is a reply to message #608656] Fri, 21 February 2014 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amine

But the network is very slow, what to do then ?
Re: How to replicate data ? [message #608660 is a reply to message #608656] Fri, 21 February 2014 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Amine wrote on Fri, 21 February 2014 12:38
In my thinking, users of each region will connect to their database and writes will be replicated through archive logs. Then, in the central database, there will be less work.

You are completely 100% misguided if you think that you can apply archived REDO log files from multiple different databases into a single repository?

Consider hiring somebody who actually knows how Oracle database really operates.

Re: How to replicate data ? [message #612005 is a reply to message #608660] Thu, 10 April 2014 13:09 Go to previous message
Rayam69
Hi Amine,

If connectivity from other regions to your database in the central region is slower, it could be only two things.

1. Database not properly tuned.
2. Bandwidth at other regions are not enough.

Fixing these two would be lot more cheaper and efficient than going about creating multiple databases.....

Good luck.
regards.
Previous Topic: MySQL to Oracle Replication using Goldengate
Next Topic: How to skip comments in logical standby?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:02:21 CDT 2024