Home » Other » General » DB architecture for sites geographically distributed
DB architecture for sites geographically distributed [message #612739] Thu, 24 April 2014 03:53 Go to next message
saracooper
I need to design the DB architecture for my client, the best possible approach. This is the scenario -

There would be a software running in more than 200 locations which we have called local sites, connected to Database. There is also a Central site with a BI application connected to the same Database.

The volume of data is not an issue, it is the geographical locations a problem.

What is the right approach for this kind of architecture -

1. Go for the cloud option?

Get a powerful Server. Put the BI application, the Database and the software that will run on the local sites all on the same Server ?

OR

2. Get 2 servers, one for Central site (BI application) and one for local sites software and the Database

Let the local sites software be used as Saas with the Database and the BI application on Central Site connect to the Database remotely?

OR

3. Get 5 servers, one for Central site with the Database, 4 servers for local sites distributed geographically

In this case use one Database and 5 instances one for each server? One instance for Central and 4 instances for local?

I am a bit confused. Any help, idea would be really appreciated. Thanks.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 April 2014 03:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DB architecture for sites geographically distributed [message #612748 is a reply to message #612739] Thu, 24 April 2014 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I need to design the DB architecture for my client, the best possible approach
which metric measures best?

some, many ,most folks conclude it is better to have separate server systems for application and the database itself.

>1. Go for the cloud option?
how does cloud option differ from non-cloud option?
Re: DB architecture for sites geographically distributed [message #612753 is a reply to message #612748] Thu, 24 April 2014 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saracooper
I gave it some more thought and this probably seems like an option -

I would like to decide on the database. The volume of data between the Server and database is not much. Its a non profit organization and has their offices/sites in 200+ different locations. So the data sent to the Database from these sites is donations received each day and the formalities done for the issuing of loans.
The Central site with the BI application would need to read the data from all these sites for generating various reports.
So I guess the ideal solution probably is to have 5 App/Web servers connected to around 50 sites. And a Central Site that gathers information from these 5 servers for reports. The question is whether to have 1 Database and 5 instances one for each server or 5 different Databases?
Re: DB architecture for sites geographically distributed [message #612758 is a reply to message #612753] Thu, 24 April 2014 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> The question is whether to have 1 Database and 5 instances one for each server or 5 different Databases?
for you, what is difference between database and instance?

>one for each server
Server?
application server?
database server?
(How) does server differ from system?

Will anyone ever want "consolidated" report that summarizes data from every office site?
Re: DB architecture for sites geographically distributed [message #612760 is a reply to message #612758] Thu, 24 April 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saracooper
By Server here I mean the physical device or hardware that would have each have the Application, Web server etc installed.
So would it be a good idea to have 1 Database and 5 instances or 5 different Databases?
I know cost wise having 5 DBs is expensive but want to know if 5 instances on 5 different machines would create problems.

Yes the Central Site would always want consolidated reports from all the local sites.
Re: DB architecture for sites geographically distributed [message #612779 is a reply to message #612760] Thu, 24 April 2014 13:44 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>So would it be a good idea to have 1 Database and 5 instances or 5 different Databases?

for you, what is difference between database and instance?
please post example or documentation for each.

BTW, why 5? why not more than 5 or fewer than 5?
Previous Topic: Oracle Rdb SQL V7.2-400 Database Dump
Next Topic: Usage Limitation of oracle free version.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:16:22 CDT 2024