Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Full RMAN database backup timing variation (Oracle 11.2.0.3, Linux x86 64)
Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634365] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:34 Go to next message
hitesh.bhatt
Hi,

In one of the database the full RMAN backup takes sometime 4 hours to complete whereas sometimes takes 7 hours to complete.
Its daily scheduled job single instance and backup on SBT tape drive.

Can you please suggest what are all the possible factors which affects the timing of RMAN backup completion?

Unfortunately, I do not have access to RMAN backup logs and RMAN on this server.
Also, I generated AWR / ADDM reports during that time and did some analysis but not much difference on all these reports, please guide me if anything specific you want me to check in AWR / ADDM reports.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hitesh
Re: Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634367 is a reply to message #634365] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitesh.bhatt
Also, additional information about the same database -

Size of Database - 4TB
database contains LOB objects as well.

Thanks
Re: Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634369 is a reply to message #634365] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
In my experience, erratic performance is sometimes because of unrelated activity on the database, the database server, the network, or the tape device. It is also sometimes because of wait events to do with the tape device not mounting the devices for a long time. If you post the AWR reports covering a 4 hour run and a 7 hour run, and your backup script, perhaps someone can help.
Re: Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634371 is a reply to message #634369] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitesh.bhatt
Many Thanks for quick reply, sure will try to provide requested details soon, till then can you please guide me what details to check in AWR specific to this issue, if possible?

Many Thanks in advance.
Re: Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634373 is a reply to message #634365] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
Can you please suggest what are all the possible factors which affects the timing of RMAN backup completion?

Concurrent workload on server CPU and/or storage subsystem.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not have access to RMAN backup logs

Too bad, you'd have details on the different operations.
If you are in charge to determine the reasons of slowness you MUST have access to, at least, the logs.

Re: Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634374 is a reply to message #634367] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
database contains LOB objects as well.

RMAN does not care about this, it is a physical backup content is irrelevant.

Re: Full RMAN database backup timing variation [message #634376 is a reply to message #634371] Mon, 09 March 2015 02:49 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
what details to check in AWR specific to this issue, if possible?

You will not have this detailed information from AWR report.
As always you can have a look at wait events sections.

Previous Topic: BACKUP and RECOVERY
Next Topic: RMAN - 01009 don't know why error?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:31:09 CDT 2024