Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g (Oracle Form Builder 11.2.2.0 64-bit, Oracle Database 11gR2 Express)
icon4.gif  Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663069] Sun, 21 May 2017 10:18 Go to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Hi !

I am trying to connect Oracle Form Builder 11g to Oracle Database 11gR2 Express edition. But when trying to connect it hangs up.

I have started the instance's(asinst_1) weblogic server and started all the components in the opmn i.e. emagent,report_srvc,ohs.

My database is up and running and I am able to connect it through SQL Developer. All the services related to it (OracleXE and OracleLsnrctl) are up and running.

I have installed Oracle Database Client and have configured the database connection in it. I have placed this client's tnsnames.ora in my instance config and Oracle Home network/admin directory.

Everything is in 64-bit flavor i.e. Oracle Form Builder, Oracle Database, Oracle Database Client and Weblogic server(10.3.6 generic)

I have been trying this since past 2 days. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663111 is a reply to message #663069] Mon, 22 May 2017 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Let me just say that you do not need to start any weblogic services to connect to a database from forms builder. You need it to "run" the form, so take that out of the equation.
Where are all these products installed?
What do you mean by Oracle Database Client? You do not need any client install for Forms Developer, other than the product itself.
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663112 is a reply to message #663111] Mon, 22 May 2017 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
okay. So I just need Form Builder 11g and My Database 11g express edition. That's it ?

Installed Locations :
1. Oracle Database Express Edition is installed at C:\oraclexe
2. Oracle Middleware Home at C:\Oracle\Middleware
3. Oracle Form and Report Home at C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1
4. Oralce Form and Report Instance at C:\Oracle\Middleware\asinst_1

I have also tried and tested to copy the tnsnames.ora from 1.'s netwok\admin folder and place it in (3. \network\admin) and (4. \config). But the Form Builder still hangs on connect to database.

I have tried to set the TNS_ADMIN in the environment variable and place the tnsnames.ora from the database installation folder at one location where TNS_ADMIN points.

I have gone through some content online where they needed the Oracle Database Client which includes Net Manager Configuration Tools.
Oracle Database Client 11g : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html
You can see below the database downloads, we have the Oracle Database Client Downloads.
I have seen that for Forms 10g we needed the OC4J component but from 11g we have the weblogic server which handles that stuff for Forms 11g.

Also could you please elaborate a bit more for "You need it to "run" the form" as in running the Form Builder or running it online.

If I am not mistaken you need me to the following steps :
1. Check that the database and its corresponding services(OracleServiceXE and OracleXETNSListener) are running.
2. Start Form Builder. Press Ctrl+J to connect to database and it should connect ?

Please let me know if I have made any mistake.

Thanks,
Luke

[Updated on: Mon, 22 May 2017 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663116 is a reply to message #663112] Mon, 22 May 2017 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
ok, so let me clarify a little.

You don't need Weblogic to develop or compile a Form, but if you want to run it to test it, even locally, you will need Weblogic running. You cannot even install Forms without first installing Weblogic.

Are you telling me that you have all of those products installed on the same machine? This is a development environment I hope. I know Windows always has a problem with more than one product on a machine, as far as which TNS entry and ORACLE_HOME is being used. I don't envy you trying to get that to work.

I still do not know what Database Client is, unless Express edition does not have the Sql*Plus. I don't know, I never used it. to me, "client" is instant c;ient, which allows you to connect to database with a stripped down version of dos-based Sql*Plus. Again, I don't use gui tools like sql developer or toad.

What does "hang" mean? If you don't have tnsnames properly set, you will get an error message.
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663120 is a reply to message #663116] Mon, 22 May 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Wow! Reading that I feel like I am almost a noob here !
Yes. I have all those tools installed on my dev machine.

Yes, the express edition does contain sqlplus and I can connect to it and have unlocked HR account from it.
I can connect to my database from sqlplus within the C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin folder.

Now let me be clear when I am asking, so there needs to be a different TNS entry for every ORACLE_HOME ?
My current ORACLE_HOME env var points to C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1
and my current TNS_ADMIN env var points to C:\oratns (where i have pasted the tnsnames.ora from Database Express edition network\admin folder)

"Hangs" meaning the status bar shows working and in a couple of minutes the whole Form Builder goes to Not Responding frozen state.
And then I need to Force close the application Sad

I do not get any error messages when it hangs. Simply "Not Responding" and then I need to close the application.

Thanks,
Luke
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663125 is a reply to message #663120] Mon, 22 May 2017 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You didn't specify operating system you use; so, which edition exactly is it? Oracle might have certain issues on MS Windows Home edition.

TNS_ADMIN variable which points to a directory that contains a TNSNAMES.ORA file, which contains all databases you connect to is perfectly OK.

What do you do so that Forms hangs? Double click Forms Builder (Developer) icon. Then what? Does it hang immediately? Or do you try to connect (Ctrl+J), enter username/password@database and click OK? If so, do you have any FMB file there? Try to open it first, and then try to establish connection.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 May 2017 15:06]

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663127 is a reply to message #663125] Mon, 22 May 2017 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Littlefoot wrote on Mon, 22 May 2017 16:05
Try to open it first, and then try to establish connection.
Hmmm, Littlefoot that sounds like the opposite of what people were supposed to do when they tried to use an old version of forms to connect to a new database. I am pretty sure I remember a "fix" was to connect to the database first and then open the form, because people were opening a form and then trying to run it and it would crash. But, I could easily be wrong there.

Maybe the young Jedi can do the "opposite" of what either you or I suggested.

I didn't even think of the HOME edition version of Windows that you suggested. Good call.
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663130 is a reply to message #663125] Tue, 23 May 2017 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Hi !
I am on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate edition.

I open the Form Builder and press Ctrl+J to connect to database. Then i fill in the fields for user,pass,database. Then I press on connect button. This is where the application hangs and then goes to Not Responding mode.
The tnsnames.ora file to which tns_admin points is the file from database network\admin folder. I have only one database i.e. Oracle Database 11gR2 express edition.
It contains entry for database XE alongwith two other entries.

Thanks,
Luke

[Updated on: Tue, 23 May 2017 00:53]

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663145 is a reply to message #663130] Tue, 23 May 2017 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Does listener log the new connection request?

You might have to packet sniff to learn what does & does not actually happen
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663149 is a reply to message #663145] Tue, 23 May 2017 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Packet sniff !
How do we do that for Oracle Form Builder.

Thanks,
Luke
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663150 is a reply to message #663149] Tue, 23 May 2017 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=packet+sniffer
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663208 is a reply to message #663150] Thu, 25 May 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
okay. So sniffing was like out of this course I guess for me. Tried but was getting too confused in that thing.
Maybe if anyone can suggest if we can find Forms Builder Crash logs or any logs for Forms Builder that would be handy.

Or if anyone else has any other idea than sniffing !

May the force be with me and all of the rebel force !

Thanks,
Luke
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663209 is a reply to message #663208] Thu, 25 May 2017 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Sniffing is beyond me, but usually the dump files end up residing where the .fmx files are, as far as I remember.
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663211 is a reply to message #663209] Thu, 25 May 2017 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
One interesting development !
Remember these Installed Locations :
1. Oracle Database Express Edition is installed at C:\oraclexe
2. Oracle Middleware Home at C:\Oracle\Middleware
3. Oracle Form and Report Home at C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1
4. Oralce Form and Report Instance at C:\Oracle\Middleware\asinst_1

When I try to connect to my database through HR account by using sqlplus from 1. C:\oraclexe\bin\sqlplus , it is getting connected.
But when I try to connect my database through HR account by using sqlplus from 3. C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1\bin\sqlplus
Only The first two lines are printed :
http://imgur.com/a/L7GqZ

I think the command prompt just tries to connect and nothing else unless i press Ctrl+C twice to interrupt.

I think this is the same behavior Forms Builder is exhibiting but instead it just hangs and goes to Not Responding mode.

Any method by which I can see sqlplus connection attempt logs ?

UPDATE :
I just saw that when I connect through 1. DB's sqlplus, its version is
SQL*PLUS: Release 11.2.0.2.0
(C) 1982,2014

And when I connect through 3. Oracle_Home's sqlplus, its version is
SQL*PLUS: Release 11.1.0.7.0
(C) 1982,2008

Might this be the problem ?
Trying to connect from 11g1 sqlplus to 11g2 db ?

Thanks,
Luke

[Updated on: Thu, 25 May 2017 14:16]

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663239 is a reply to message #663211] Fri, 26 May 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
So, I took a backup of sqlplus.exe and OCI.dll from Oracle_FRHome\BIN and copied and replaced the sqlplus.exe and OCI.dll from DBHome\bin to Oracle_FRHome\BIN.
Tried connecting again with hr/hr@xe

Still it seems to be trying the connection in background with no more than same two lines printing but now the version is of new sqlplus.

Reverting the backup copies to Oracle_FRHome\BIN folder now.

Any help would be appreciated.

May the force be with me and all of the rebel force !

Thanks,
Luke
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663241 is a reply to message #663239] Fri, 26 May 2017 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I believe you when you report that you have a problem.
IMO, it would be MUCH more helpful if you actually use COPY & PASTE to show us what you do & how Oracle responds.

Does listener log the new connection request?
my question above remains unanswered
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663249 is a reply to message #663241] Fri, 26 May 2017 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Sorry I am somewhat noob, but how to know when a listner is logging a new connection request.

Thanks,
Luke
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663250 is a reply to message #663249] Fri, 26 May 2017 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
issue command below

lsnrctl status

the results will be similar to below

[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 12.2.0.1.0 - Production on 26-MAY-2017 20:20:44

Copyright (c) 1991, 2016, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias LISTENER
Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 12.2.0.1.0 - Production
Start Date 19-MAY-2017 15:02:55
Uptime 7 days 5 hr. 17 min. 49 sec
Trace Level off
Security ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP OFF
Default Service orcl12c
Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/vbgeneric/listener/alert/log.xml
Listening Endpoints Summary...
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=vbgeneric)(PORT=8081))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
Services Summary...
Service "49bff8a6bb912582e0530100007f8be4" has 1 instance(s).
Instance "orcl12c", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "4fe762cf3c871a73e0530100007ff9fb" has 1 instance(s).
Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
Service "orcl12c" has 2 instance(s).
Instance "orcl12c", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "orcl12cXDB" has 1 instance(s).
Service "ords" has 1 instance(s).
The command completed successfully
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$

See the line that starts with "Listener Log File "
The desired details reside in this file.
Each timestamp line is for a single connection request.
Each new connection request is written to the end of this file.
The last value on each line is the status code for that request.
Status=0 is a successful connection request.
Any non-zero value indicates an error occurred.
If/when client initiates a connection request & no line is record in listener log file, then the request was NOT received by the listener.
When this occurs it indicates the client is sorely mis-configured.

Do you have an error of commission (did something wrong) or error of omission (did not do something that was required)?
Is the root cause on the client or on the database server? We need more details to better understand where the root cause resides.

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663275 is a reply to message #663250] Sat, 27 May 2017 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Thanks Blackswan for a quick walk-through !

lsnrctl status o/p : http://imgur.com/1ygImWA

I have the below msg tags for the latest connection I tried :

<msg time='DATE/TIME' org_id='oracle' comp_id='tnslsnr'
 type='UNKNOWN' level='16' host_id='ADMIN-PC'
 host_addr='fe80::f0d4:a15c:f36b:3f9b%12'>
 <txt>DATE/TIME * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=XE)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1\BIN\sqlplus.exe)(HOST=ADMIN-PC)(USER=Admin))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=169.254.123.121%15)(PORT=49366)) * establish * XE * 0
 </txt>
</msg>
 <txt>DATE/TIME * service_update * xe * 0
 </txt>
</msg>
 <txt>DATE/TIME * service_update * xe * 0
 </txt>
</msg>

I can see '0' at the end of each line process. So Can I assume that the connection was OK with the listener.

Thanks,
Luke

[Updated on: Sat, 27 May 2017 09:26]

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663276 is a reply to message #663275] Sat, 27 May 2017 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
lukeskyw41ker wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 07:22
Thanks Blackswan for a quick walk-through !

lsnrctl status o/p : http://imgur.com/1ygImWA

I have the below msg tags for the latest connection I tried :

<txt>DATE/TIME * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=XE)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1\BIN\sqlplus.exe)(HOST=ADMIN-PC)(USER=Admin))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=169.254.123.121%15)(PORT=49366)) * establish * XE * 0
 </txt>
The line above contains the meaningful details.
It shows a successful connection when using sqlplus.

What is required is to see a similar line from when Forms Builder tries to connect.
If no such line exists, it means that Form Builder connection request never got to the listener.
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #663277 is a reply to message #663276] Sat, 27 May 2017 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lukeskyw41ker
Oracle Forms Builder log msg :
<msg time='2017-05-27T20:14:14.932+05:30' org_id='oracle' comp_id='tnslsnr'
 <txt>27-MAY-2017 20:14:14 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=XE)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_FRHome1\BIN\frmbld.exe)(HOST=ADMIN-PC)(USER=Admin))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=169.254.123.121%15)(PORT=62565)) * establish * XE * 0
 </txt>
</msg>
<msg time='2017-05-27T20:14:53.959+05:30' org_id='oracle' comp_id='tnslsnr'
 <txt>27-MAY-2017 20:14:53 * service_update * xe * 0
 </txt>
</msg>

I think it did get connected to the database. But why then is it just "hangs" after connection !
Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Luke

[Updated on: Sat, 27 May 2017 09:46]

Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #667100 is a reply to message #663277] Thu, 07 December 2017 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stillee
Hi, I have the exact same problem but with Forms Builder Standalone 12c towards Oracle standard edition database 12.2.
Did you evere get this solved Luke?
Re: Oracle Form Builder 11g hangs on connect to database express 11g [message #667112 is a reply to message #667100] Fri, 08 December 2017 01:07 Go to previous message
stillee
For me it had something to do with multi tenant database, reinstalled the DB as single instance then it worked.
Previous Topic: master and detail form
Next Topic: oracle forms 11g print report direct on printer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:45:40 CDT 2024