Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Database Migration w/Oracle 8i
Database Migration w/Oracle 8i [message #69880] Fri, 15 March 2002 11:57 Go to next message
Michael C
Help!

We want to setup staging database for our production box, my question is what will be the suitable way to migrate/clone the whole database and transfer to our staging box?

Since it's the same version of Oracle 8i, Oracle's data migration assiant wouldn't work. So next solution will be export/import, but how to due with the PK & FK constraints issue?

Thanks in advance

--Michael
Re: Database Migration w/Oracle 8i [message #69895 is a reply to message #69880] Mon, 18 March 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
For a full database import you would create a staging database, run catalog, catproc, and catexp scripts as SYS. Then add the same tablespaces you have in the original. You would then do a FULL export on the source and a FULL import on the target. Do both export/import as the SYSTEM schema. You will not have constraint problems because they do not exist during the data import and are created/turned on at the end.

You can also clone the database. This can be tricky but is the fastest way to go.
Re: Database Migration w/Oracle 8i [message #69918 is a reply to message #69880] Tue, 19 March 2002 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael C
Thanks Grant,
The tips is very helpful, i look at the article about the clone (that's what I want to do!) but the only thing is: it create a clone on the same server, what happen or possible if I want it in another server.

Thanks again

Michael
Re: Database Migration w/Oracle 8i [message #69929 is a reply to message #69918] Wed, 20 March 2002 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Where is says "system copy" you would use ftp or an alternate media like tape. ftp would be the easiest. Just make sure you use binary mode for binary files.
Re: Database Migration w/Oracle 8i [message #70081 is a reply to message #69880] Tue, 09 April 2002 09:59 Go to previous message
Ron Kranz
Hi Michael,

Have you considered the Export/Import option of
transportable tablespaces?

You can copy all of your application's datafiles to
another database (same schema or different schema).

The only tablespaces you can't copy are the SYSTEM
and TEMP (and of course the RBS tablespace you wouldn't
want to copy).

1. Create a separate database.
2. Create the schema owner in the new database.
3. Export the source database using transportable option.
4. Import the dump file and copy the datafiles.

This is a simplified activities list. So, check out
your manuals (Utilities) and Oracle's Metalink for
details.

Good Luck.
Previous Topic: Re: Data imgration from MS SQL server
Next Topic: Export subsets of data with date query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:41:31 CDT 2024