Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Migrating to Oracle 8i
Migrating to Oracle 8i [message #70114] Tue, 16 April 2002 04:23 Go to next message
Abhinandan
Hi Friends !

I want to migrate database from sql Server 7 to Oracle 8i. For the same I have downloaded Migration Workbench from OTN. But when I tried to install it tries to find Oracle 9,0 Home. Where can I get Migration workbench that will help me in migrating databases to 8i

If someone knows the precise answer and happens to be from Mumbai then I would appreciate a call on 850 5800

Thanks in advance.

Abhi
Re: Migrating to Oracle 8i [message #70118 is a reply to message #70114] Tue, 16 April 2002 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Niranjan
Abhi,

The migration workbench on the oracle web site will only work with Oracle 9. If you want to use it with Oracle 8i, you can use the Oracle 8i installation CD to install the migration work bench on this CD which is compatible with the 8i version.

Niranjan
Re: Migrating to Oracle 8i [message #70120 is a reply to message #70118] Tue, 16 April 2002 21:33 Go to previous message
orafaq
Use MIG9 utility .....

Let’s take a more detailed look at the actual procedure to use the MIG80 utility.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. You must start at 7.3.x (or higher) release level of Oracle. A version 6 database must be migrated to at least 7.3.x before it can be converted to ORACLE9i.
2. Backup the source ORACLE database, or, perform a complete export.
3. Drop any users or roles named “migrate”.
4. Resolve all pending transactions in a distributed environment.
5. Bring all tablespaces online, or, make sure they are offline normal or temporary, not immediate. Resolve any save undo situations in tablespaces (see migration manual).
6. Shutdown normal (not immediate or abort).
7. Install the ORACLE9i software, do not do a “COMPLETE” install as this will attempt to build an ORACLE9i instance and may damage your existing instance beyond recovery. Do a partial, software only install.
8. Install the MIG90 utility into the ORACLE8 ORACLE_HOME by using OUI from X-windows on UNIX or its equivalent on your operating system.
9. Unset the TWO_TASK environmental variable on UNIX or ORA_DFLT_HOLSTER on VMS.
10. Set the following init.ora parameter:
ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/migrate (or its equivalent location on your system)
11. Run the MIG90 utility on the ORACLE8 database according to the directions for your system. This creates an ORACLE9i data dictionary and a binary convert file. You will need 1.5 times the amount of space that your current dictionary occupies as free space in your SYSTEM tablespace area for the new dictionary. If you aren’t sure you have the space, run MIG in CHECK_ONLY mode first.You aren’t past the point of no return…yet. This step obliterates the ORACLE8 catalog views, but, you can recover them by doing the following if you need to abandon the migration at this point:

A. Startup the ORACLE8 database in normal mode.
B. Drop the user “migrate”
C. Rerun CATALOG.SQL
D. If using parallel server, rerun CATPARR.SQL
E. If using Symmetric Replication run CATREP.SQL

One thing to note, this will be a 8.1.7 database if you abandon at this point.

12. Remove any obsolete initialization parameters from the databases init<SID>.ora file.
a. Set compatible to 9.0.0.0 or not at all.
b. Change the locations specified by the control_files parameter to a new location.
13. Remove the old control files, they will re recreated.
14. From SQLPLUS issue the commands: CONNECT INTERNAL and STARTUP NOMOUNT.
15. From SQLPLUS the DBA issues the ALTER DATABASE CONVERT command on the ORACLE9i
side. This command creates a new controlfile, converts all online file headers to ORACLE9i format,
and mounts the ORACLE9i instance. This is the point of no return.
16. The DBA issues the ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS command on the ORACLE9i side
which automatically converts all objects and users defined in the new dictionary to ORACLE9i
specifications. It also converts all rollback segments to ORACLE9i format.
17. Finish converting the catalog to a full ORACLE9i catalog by running cat9000.sql, usually located in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin subdirectory on UNIX. Then run catalog.sql located in the same place. Finally, run catproc.sql to rebuild the PL/SQL and utility packages. If needed, also run any other “cat”.sql scripts to install any purchased options as required.
18. Shutdown and backup your new ORACLE9i ready database.

Hope This Helps.
Anand
Previous Topic: SQL Server to Oracle Migration
Next Topic: Mechanism followed by imp utility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:00:31 CDT 2024