Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Mechanism followed by imp utility
Mechanism followed by imp utility [message #70121] Wed, 17 April 2002 02:06 Go to next message
anoop
From where can i know the exact background mechanism involved while doing import.. Acually i wanna know whether all the constraints are diabled at first and the data is imported and then all hte constraints are enabled..
If i am correctly interpretting import mechanism then how can we avoid duplicate entries. I want to use IGNORE=Y
Re: Mechanism followed by imp utility [message #70125 is a reply to message #70121] Wed, 17 April 2002 10:15 Go to previous message
Grant
You can do a full export then list the contents which will tell you the order objects are applied.

exp system/manager file=expdmp.dat ROWS=N FULL=Y
imp system/manager file=expdmp.dat SHOW=Y LOG=expdmp.log

During a full import (no schema objects exist) it will do as you say. Constraints are enabled at the end. If there is existing table data and constraints they are and remain enabled during the import. If you disabled the constraints and did an import you would have duplicate data. The IGNORE option is to ignore errors if objects already exist and continue.
Previous Topic: Migrating to Oracle 8i
Next Topic: Java error installing Oracle 8.1.7 EE on Suse 7.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:27:04 CDT 2024