Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » migration DB UNIX to Windows
migration DB UNIX to Windows [message #70317] Fri, 24 May 2002 01:57 Go to next message
rene koumdsy
Hello
I have working DB (oracle 8.1.7, Aix) and i am trying
to migrate my data base in Windows NT or 2000.

I don't realy know how i must cloning my Data Base with the best procedure?

Could you give me some ideas and your opinion.
THANKS
Re: migration DB UNIX to Windows [message #70319 is a reply to message #70317] Fri, 24 May 2002 06:29 Go to previous message
Grant
Cloning a database is the process of creating an ascii script by doing a "alter database backup controlfile to trace;" in svrmgrl. Then you would shutdown the database normal and do an OS copy of all your database files. This is done with like systems. You cannot use this method from unix to windows. What I would suggest, and I beleive the only way, is to create the database on your windows machine and use export/import.

1. Create DB in windows.
2. Shutdown the source database and bring it up in restrict mode. svrmgrl> startup restrict
3. Do a full export on the source.
4. Do a full import on the target.
5. Shutdown the source database and source listener.
6. Modify tnsnames.ora on all clients to point to the new server/SID.
7. Modify any apps to point to the new DB.

This would be when you are ready to move it. You could do a test run by just creating the new DB and do an export/import without shutting down the AIX DB. Once you have the steps down you will have a good idea on what you need to do and the time you will need to do it. You will also know if you have enough space and that your memory/SGA configuration will work for you.
Previous Topic: Easy Solution
Next Topic: exp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:27:04 CDT 2024