Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » general information on importing
general information on importing [message #70633] Tue, 09 July 2002 11:30 Go to next message
Jane
Hi, I'm a little confused about a few things and I hope that someone out there can help me out.

I am using Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 Server.

I have a dmp file that I need to import into an already existing tablespace which already contains most of the data and tables. This is so that I may have a new copy of the data. I've imported tables into new tablespaces (without any data or tables) in the past using the Oracle imp utility without any problems. When I attempt to import the file, I get alot of warning about the tables already being there:

IMP-00015: following statement failed because the object already exists

This is understandable because these tables are present. However, the data doesn't get updated (the rows have not been added).

What I would like to know is what is the general steps for importing data this way. Should I drop the tablespace and recreate it? What happens the the users that use this tablespace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jane
Re: general information on importing [message #70634 is a reply to message #70633] Tue, 09 July 2002 12:26 Go to previous message
Grant
I believe when import finds a table that exists it goes to the next table and skips the insert for the table that was found. You may need to create another schema and import the objects to that schema. Then grant read access to the tables to the original schema and connect to the original schema and do an insert statement.
Previous Topic: Re: oracle 8i PE installations
Next Topic: Problem with startup DB after IMP FULL=Y
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 17:30:16 CDT 2024