Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Character set in export/import
Character set in export/import [message #70659] Thu, 11 July 2002 00:43 Go to next message
krishna
I need to import a .dmp file into my database. The version of Oracle from where it was exported and the version of Oracle in the target machine is same. There is no problem there. The problem is the dump file is in a different character set. How do i set the character in the target database to be the same as that in the dump file?
Re: Character set in export/import [message #70667 is a reply to message #70659] Thu, 11 July 2002 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
There are a couple of options. This depends on the character set you currently use and the character set in the export. You can use ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET statement on the database. But the only way this will work is if the the new character set is a strict superset of the current character set. If it isn't you will need to recreate the database with the new character set. You can corrupt your database if you do this the wrong way. There is an Oracle tool that will check your database for you and give you a report. The tool is there to assist you on character set conversions. Look at Meta Link and do a search on csscan. This may or may not be available to you depending on your version but it will give you a good idea on what you need to do. ALWAYS do a full backup before you do anything like this.
Re: Character set in export/import [message #70775 is a reply to message #70659] Mon, 22 July 2002 03:33 Go to previous message
sunil bhola
svrmgrl>shutdown immeidate;
svrmgrl>startup mount;
svrmgrl>alter database character set <name of the character set>
Previous Topic: database not opened
Next Topic: Sequencing in Oracle giving Problems.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:42:48 CDT 2024