Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Veritas Oracle Agent
Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70714] Tue, 16 July 2002 19:49 Go to next message
Kenny
I backed up the entire database online using Veritas Oracle Agent. After backing it up, I restored the database using Veritas. The problem is the database is no longer accessible after the restoration. Error I got was ORA01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress. I am using Oracle 9i.

Please help.
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70715 is a reply to message #70714] Tue, 16 July 2002 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seng
ORA01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress - this error it means the database is till processing something and hasn't completed shutdown and startup.

For your information, to do the full backup or restore back, the database server is needed to shutdown first. Hope this is helping.
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70719 is a reply to message #70715] Wed, 17 July 2002 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenny
Thanks Seng for the info.

Does this mean that even with the Oracle Agent, I still need to shut down the database in order to perform a backup? If so, any documentation on this?

I found out that this error message was actually caused by the control files being older that the data files (not up-to-date). Everytime a user logs into the database, Oracle checks the control files against the data files. If the control files are not up-to-date, the user will not be able to login at all. Could this be caused by the fact that the database was online while the backup was performed?

Any way I can backup an ONLINE database using Veritas Oracle Agent and then restore it nicely without any erros?

Regards.
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70722 is a reply to message #70715] Wed, 17 July 2002 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Your options:

1. shutdown the DB (cold backup) and back it up.
2. take the tablespace offline and backup the data files.
3. use RMAN (online).

There are also third party tools that will backup Oracle without taking it down but you pay big bucks for it.
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70728 is a reply to message #70715] Thu, 18 July 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seng
For normal full backup, you need to shutdown your database. You can check this agent regarding this.

The controlfile won't cause logon problem, if you control file and other datafile are inconsistent then you are not able to start database and need restore and recover database.

Please check in this agent document first.
Hope this is helping.
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70734 is a reply to message #70715] Thu, 18 July 2002 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenny
Dear Seng,

Exactly! I still feel a closed-database backup is the best solution.

This means the oracle agent is of no use! Even if we can perform an online database backups, how are we going to restore from those backed up files using the oracle agent?

Furthermore, the documentation for the oracle agent has not been very precise/complete. They should inform the users on how to perform online database backup and restore from these files from A to Z.

Thanks
Kenny
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70784 is a reply to message #70715] Tue, 23 July 2002 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seng
Yes, the closed-backup is more safe. For third level backup tool, need to understand, plan and testing first before implement into production ... if no then we will suffer any restore back ..

By the way, this closed-backup does have constraint if your database is very big ... constraint in time backup & restore and space to backup ...
Re: Veritas Oracle Agent [message #70801 is a reply to message #70714] Thu, 25 July 2002 04:31 Go to previous message
Kenny
Just curious..

If we already have the Open File Option, do we really need Oracle Agent?

With the Open File Option, we could just backup the entire folder where the database files are residing. And if the database control files or tablespaces are online and locked, there should not be any problem with the backup as the Open File Option is enabled, right?

But will backing up the database files while the database is online affect the restoration process?

Any clues anyone?
Previous Topic: Re: ORA-12560: TNS:Protocol adaptor error while running SVRMGRL
Next Topic: Re: FREE OCP PAPERS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:00:50 CDT 2024