Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Problem in loading fields carrying carriage return
Problem in loading fields carrying carriage return [message #70777] Mon, 22 July 2002 15:46 Go to next message
Ashish Singhal
Hi,

I am trying to load in a variale length comma delimited flat file( unix vi editor file), where some of my columns have carriage return/new line, like one of the records on my data file looks like:

05102,5+,0,Changes to LSR form to Unbundled Analog Switch Port,,,Missing,"For th
e Unbundled Analog Line-Side Switch Port Product on the LSR form field #46, BAN1
needs to be changed. This change will impact the BPL and should not impact the
EDI mapps. The GUI will need to reflect the changes below also.

For the activitiy of",7-Dec-99,,,0,0,0,Requirements,,Deployed,,5+,,1

The field in " " has two carriage returns( one after also. and one after blank line)
The SQL loader is treating this one record as three different records, one record ending in also., second recors as blank line and thirs record starting from For. Thus SQL loader is rejecting many such records.

How can I make sure that SQL loader treat this kind of recors as single record.
My data file is very large and contains many such records of variable length.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Problem in loading fields carrying carriage return [message #70780 is a reply to message #70777] Mon, 22 July 2002 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arvind L
Hi,

i have a couple of suggestions for your problem.

1. If your file has consistent number of fields for all your records. You could reformat the file with new line characters at the end of the specified number of fields. You could use text processing tools like awk for this purpose

2. Try CONTINUEIF option of SQLLDR if your data has any regular patterns to identify each record

Hope it helps
Arvind L
Re: Problem in loading fields carrying carriage return [message #70782 is a reply to message #70777] Tue, 23 July 2002 01:52 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
please refer our other posting.
loading records with carriage returns
Previous Topic: What is the PASSWORD for INTERNAL a/c???
Next Topic: Export gives invalid col name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 00:51:04 CDT 2024