Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » JDBC Thin Client character conversion problem
JDBC Thin Client character conversion problem [message #70887] Wed, 07 August 2002 21:37 Go to next message
Suresh Kumar
Hi,
I am using JDBC thin driver to retrieve Arabic data (VARCHAR column) to display it in a web page from a Oracle8i databse with Character set AR8MSWIN1256. The problem is the driver returns some junk data (inverted question marks) instead of the expected data. The CLASSPATH contains both classes12.zip and nls_charset12.zip (i am using jdk 1.3). The documentation says that these two zip files will take care of the nesessary character set conversions.
Am i missing anything here? Do i have to do anything else apart from this? Please help to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Suresh
Re: JDBC Thin Client character conversion problem [message #70892 is a reply to message #70887] Thu, 08 August 2002 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
The NLS_DISPLAY variable was introduced to support
certain Arabic terminal characters. I believe, this is
used only on Unix.
On Windows AR8MSWIN1256 / AR8ISO8859P6 are supposed shape the characters by themselves.
did you check any logs or traces for any more information about the process of HANDSHAKING?
Re: JDBC Thin Client character conversion problem [message #70894 is a reply to message #70892] Thu, 08 August 2002 21:01 Go to previous message
Suresh Kumar
Hi Mahesh,
Thanx for your reply. I am not aware of the logs/traces what u were mentioning. Can you please tell me where i can see this, and troubleshoot.
I was thinking that the driver is responsible for the charset conversion. I tried with OCI client also, but no success.
But, i am getting the proper data with sqlplus and Pro*C programs.

Regards,
Suresh
Previous Topic: data conversion
Next Topic: Re: FREE OCP PAPERS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:31:06 CDT 2024