Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Oracle 8.1.6 Export slowing down at "Exporting Views..."
Oracle 8.1.6 Export slowing down at "Exporting Views..." [message #70922] Wed, 14 August 2002 10:14 Go to next message
Shridhar Kumar
Oracle Server version is 8.1.6.3.4 I am doing the export with the following command in a batch file:

exp80 user_name/user_password@server_name file=user_name.dmp owner=user_name

The export goes fine with exporting rows and synonyms, taking about only 45-60 seconds. Then it stands still at "Exporting Views..." for more than 45 minutes. Then it finishes the remaining steps within no time.

1. There are no error messages generated.
2. The dmp file is good and imports fine.
3. This started happening with 2 of our 8 branch office server machines.
4. The two affected machines exported fine and finished the process in under 2 minutes until last week.
5. The export is slow on those machines with any user schema, slowing down at "Exporting Views..."
6. I have re-run catexp.sql, catalog.sql and catproc.sql with no improvements.

Users are complaining about the long time needed for the daily backups.

Please suggest any solutions or patches that might be required. Thanks in advance.
Add: Oracle 8.1.6 Export slowing down at "Exporting Views..." [message #70923 is a reply to message #70922] Wed, 14 August 2002 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shridhar Kumar
Sorry, I didn't mention the Oracle 8.1.6.3.4 is running on Windows 2000 Server /Service Pack 2 on both the affected machines.
Re: Oracle 8.1.6 Export slowing down at "Exporting Views..." [message #70924 is a reply to message #70922] Wed, 14 August 2002 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Hi,
i am not very sure, whether this is goin to help you.
give a try. we did this for one our client and it worked.
set your optimizer_mode=choose
restart the instance
and try export again.
if that does not help
set your optimizer_mode=rule and repeat again.
Re: Oracle 8.1.6 Export slowing down at "Exporting Views..." [message #70926 is a reply to message #70922] Wed, 14 August 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shridhar Kumar
Thanks Mahesh!

optimizer_mode=RULE (in init.ora file) did the trick!

Before I did this, the database was in fact at optimizer_mode=CHOOSE

Since this value was never touched before, I am not sure how the export suddenly slowed down. It cannot be the data content. Since, when I import the same dump file on to another machine with comparable hardware, the export occurs very quickly (even with optimzer_mode=CHOOSE on the second machine).

When this had happened earlier with an onsite Oracle Server, I had uninstalled Oracle on the problem machine and reimported the data after reinstalling oracle. That had corrected the problem then. I could not afford to do that this time since the servers were at a remote site.

I wish I can get more insight into this. Thank you very much for the solution, however.
Re: Oracle 8.1.6 Export slowing down at "Exporting Views..." [message #70930 is a reply to message #70926] Thu, 15 August 2002 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
I beleive what is happening here has to do with Cost Based Optimizer (CBO) and the way it is effected when an import is done. CBO is always in effect. The difference is when you run ANALYZE on the tables you are using CHOOSE and when there are no statistics on the tables you are using RULE. This is easy to verify by using DBMB_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA. You can use this utility to compute the stats and delete the stats. There is no need to modify the parameter OPTIMIZER_MODE and do a restart of the DB. Where import comes in you will notice that the ANALYZE switch default is "Y" so it will compute the stats during an import.
Grant, we'd run ANALYZE_SCHEMA prior to this problem! [message #70937 is a reply to message #70926] Fri, 16 August 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shridhar Kumar
Grant, your post made me realize what precipitated the problem. A couple of days before we noticed this slowdown, I had indeed run the following script:
<bold>
execute dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SYS', 'ESTIMATE');
execute dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SYSTEM', 'ESTIMATE');
execute dbms_utility.analyze_schema(USER, 'ESTIMATE');
</bold>

This was most certainly the cause. But I did this hoping to improve things with the source database.

In the past, I had the front-end application run ANALYZE individually on all the USER tables and indexes without causing this problem. Only this last time I used ANALYZE_SCHEMA and added SYS & SYSTEM.

Grant, do you think that it is OK to run ANALYZE_SCHEMA on the USER schema but not SYS & SYSTEM?
Thanks in advance.
Forum newbie; sorry for garbling the thread view order [message #70938 is a reply to message #70926] Fri, 16 August 2002 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shridhar Kumar
I didn't realize clicking on the 'Post a Reply' link above the message actually posts a message in a different order than you wished. I should've scrolled down to post the reply, the right way.

Is it only me or is it the page design that needs tweaking?
Re: Grant, we'd run ANALYZE_SCHEMA prior to this problem! [message #70939 is a reply to message #70926] Fri, 16 August 2002 12:18 Go to previous message
Grant
You never want to run analyze on SYS or SYSTEM. If for some reason it happens you want to delete them.
Previous Topic: Loading two files into same table using single loader
Next Topic: svrmgrl error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 18:48:36 CDT 2024