Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » How do you backup an Oracle proprietary database
How do you backup an Oracle proprietary database [message #70977] Wed, 21 August 2002 08:51 Go to next message
Steve
The only way I can backup this application's database is through their user front end. I know there has to be another way to do this via the command prompt or something. I went through the bin folder and couldn't find anything relevant to use like an enterprise manager and so forth.

Is there a way to do a backup of this database another way?
Re: How do you backup an Oracle proprietary database [message #70984 is a reply to message #70977] Thu, 22 August 2002 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil bhola
there are many ways to backup your database, but it's depends on the method in which your database is running

if the database running in archive mode(physical backup)

type svrmgrl at command prompt enter the sys password

svrmgrl>alter tablespace "tablespace name" begin backup;

svrmgrl>host
c:>copy c:oracleoradatasunilwork.dbf d:backup

c:>exit
svrmgrl>..........

repeat again and again to backup all your tablespace, then copy the control file to the backup folder then copy the archived log file

if the database running on non archive mode(physical backup)

type svrmgrl at command prompt enter the sys password as sysdba

svrmgrl>shutdown

svrmgrl>exit
then copy all the file i.e. data files, control file, redo log files, init.ora file using the operating system utilities i.e. copy

the third method is export(logical backup)
export sunil/sunil@sunil full=y buffer=10000000 consistent=y....
Re: How do you backup an Oracle proprietary database [message #70990 is a reply to message #70977] Fri, 23 August 2002 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve
Thanks, that does help. Now I'm wondering if I can automate this process? Is this why Oracle consultants make money, because databases is dependant upon people? =)
cold backup [message #70995 is a reply to message #70977] Sat, 24 August 2002 17:32 Go to previous message
Eric Myers
Cold backups are the simplest and best. If there is enough downtime for the application then do a cold backup. You'll need some sort of scheduling tool to do this.

1. shutdown db (don't use shutdown abort)
2. copy all the db files to an area on disk or tape
that you set aside for backups
3. restart the db

Note: if you copy the files to disk then it should be another physical disk - if you're using RAID then this method won't protect your data. Ideally you should copy the data to tape so the backup is stored off the server in case the server crashes.
Previous Topic: Problem in sql loader
Next Topic: Checking Values before Loading through sql loader
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 17:43:35 CDT 2024