Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » startup nomount - Error
startup nomount - Error [message #71000] Mon, 26 August 2002 06:26 Go to next message
Manju
Hello,
i was trying to create a instance, i am ran into a
problem finding which version is running on my unix machine...i do have both 8.0.6 and 8.1.7 directory under orcale/products. i was thinking that i am on 8.0.6 and trying to put the init.ora file under 8.0.6 and trying to create a instance....so i am getting the following error... now my problem is to find the correct orcale version and make sure which is running..and the create a instance....this may seems simple but i am new to this ...so let me know

TIA
MANJU

oracle@manhp3:/opt/app/oracle/product/8.0.6/dbs$ svrmgrl =/opt/app/oracle/admin/
opctr2/pfile/initopctr2.ora

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - 64bit Production
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - 64bit Production

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> startup nomount
LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/opt/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/init
opctr2.ora'
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
SVRMGR>
Re: startup nomount - Error [message #71002 is a reply to message #71000] Mon, 26 August 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
set your ORACLE_HOME to your new oracle home (806)
and ORACLE_SID to the new sid.
and try again.
Re: startup nomount - Error [message #71022 is a reply to message #71000] Tue, 27 August 2002 12:29 Go to previous message
Grant
One thing to keep in mind in unix is the init.ora file must be located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs if not specified on the command line. The other problem is your PATH and ORACLE_HOME environment variables are set to the 8.1.7 code tree. I am assuming you have a create database script so...

Set your environment variables (I use ksh so yours may be different if using cshell). Here is an example script I use:

#!/bin/ksh
echo ""
## echo "USAGE: . prod"
echo ""

export ORACLE_SID="prod"
# get ORACLE_HOME from /var/opt/oracle/oratab
export ORACLE_HOME=`grep ^$ORACLE_SID: /var/opt/oracle/oratab | cut -d: -f2`
## export NLS_DATE_FORMAT='YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS' # This fixes ORA-01861 when importing
export ORACLE_BASE="/oradb/kham/u1/app/oracle/product"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/usr/lib"
export SHLIB_PATH="$ORACLE_HOME/lib"
export NLS_LANG="AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1"
# export NLS_LANG="AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII"
export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/sbin:/usr/loc
al/bin:.
export TNS_ADMIN="/var/opt/oracle"
## export TNS_ADMIN="$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin"

echo "Be sure to check the ORA environment variables..."
echo "================================================="
echo ""
env &#124grep ORA
echo ""

Note the script gets the ORACLE_HOME from the oratab file. With a script for each sid and using the oratab file you can be sure to have the correct environment for each SID. If you do not want to use the oratab file then hard code the ORACLE_HOME path. So if this was PROD you would source this file (after you make the changes for your site) and copy initprod.ora to ORACLE_HOME/dbs or create a soft link to the file where you keep it (usually ./admin/prod/pfile).

It should find the file and you will have the correct environment. Your PATH may be different see your installation guide.

Also if you want 8.0.6 and you start svrmgrl and it says 8.1.7 you have the wrong PATH/ORACLE_HOME set.
Previous Topic: dbms_job how to run it on exact time
Next Topic: Re: Loader-522 Message (lfiopn failed for file)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 17:21:02 CDT 2024