Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Instances get mixed up after instance creation: 8.1.7 on Win2K
Instances get mixed up after instance creation: 8.1.7 on Win2K [message #71174] Thu, 19 September 2002 15:52 Go to next message
JOHN
After a vanilla install of Oracle 8.1.7.0 on Windows 2000, I create two instances (say, A and B) in a row with the Database Configuration Assistant.

After a number of manual starts and stops with the svrmgrl, the instances (somehow) get confused. I.e., I can do

connect internal@A

and then do

select instance from v$thread;

and get B.

I have examined all init files and everything I can think of, and there is no apparent mixup.

One tidbit: If I then delete B, and look at the default instance in the NT Oracle Administrative Assistant, it says B is now the default instance (even though it's been deleted). Also, at this point, the PWD file gets messed up.

This is really bizarre. I've never seen anything like this on Solaris.

I have even tried completely uninstalling Oracle and reinstalling, being very careful to remove all previous Oracle / Oradata files, and removing all old registry keys (particular those under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREORACLE and the "current control set" for the instances.

Any ideas?
Re: Instances get mixed up after instance creation: 8.1.7 on Win2K [message #71177 is a reply to message #71174] Fri, 20 September 2002 18:11 Go to previous message
Helena
if this is on windows land do the following

set ORACLE_SID=a
then svrmgrl > shutdown normal
startup force

I had a similar problem and, the only way arround it is keep setting your SID

good luck
Helena
Previous Topic: 109.problem with duplication
Next Topic: DSN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:09:27 CDT 2024