Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » getting 3 nasty Oracle errors :(
getting 3 nasty Oracle errors :( [message #71176] Fri, 20 September 2002 13:21 Go to next message
Nico
Hi,

I guess I start with...This Really Sucks. hehe. Okay that aside now...

To the best of my knowledge nothing on the server changed. I am the one of very few who even has access to the server. All I know is when I try to connect to a database via SQL+ I get the following message:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA
OSD-04101: invalid SGA: SGA not initialized

OSD-04101 says something about not enough memory? Well I have plenty of memory.. I really don't think thats the problem because when I go into NT performance monitor the memory usage is really low. CPU is also low. I don't know whats wrong :(

So I perform a fresh reboot of the server. The following Oracle services are Started:

OracleServiceORCL
OracleStartORCL
OracleTNSListener80
OracleWebAssistant

Another thing to note is when I check the Event log I see EIGHT entries all identical to the following:

Event ID: 16
Source: Oracle80.orcl
Type: Warning
Description: Instance orcl has been terminated.

This is my cry for help...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Thanks in advance,
Nico
nico@dovetree.com
============================================
I am using Oracle version 8.something. Also there is *NO* alert log file. I checked my whole disk. Where could it have gone? :/
Re: getting 3 nasty Oracle errors :( [message #71181 is a reply to message #71176] Sat, 21 September 2002 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
i beleive, something is up with registry!

1. Run REGEDT32 and go to HKEY_Local_Machine on Local_Machine.
2. Got to Software.
3. Go to Oracle.
4. Look for ORACLE_SID and verify it is set to the SID to which the you are trying to connect.
If not, double click on ORACLE_SID and modify the string.
Re: getting 3 nasty Oracle errors :( [message #71198 is a reply to message #71176] Mon, 23 September 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nico
The Oracle_SID value is perfect. What else could it be?
Re: getting 3 nasty Oracle errors :( [message #71207 is a reply to message #71176] Tue, 24 September 2002 11:01 Go to previous message
Grant
It shows you have plenty of memory because Oracle didn't start. You are running out of memory. Check the amount of memory oracle wants by adding ((DB_BLOCK_SIZE * DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS) + SHARED_POOL_SIZE + SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_SIZE + LARGE_POOL_SIZE + JAVA_POOL_SIZE).

The alert log is in background_dump_dest. Check bdump, cdump (core), and udump (user) dump destinations for .trc files that may help also. All these destinations are specified in your initSID.ora file(s).
Previous Topic: Re: import/export issue
Next Topic: Import only a view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:29:51 CDT 2024