Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » where is my table ,my data
where is my table ,my data [message #71409] Wed, 30 October 2002 02:31 Go to next message
peng
hello ,everyone,
i met a problem when i used micorsoft DTS tools to copy some tables of sqlsever2000 to my oracle 8.1.6 ,tables and data were copied succeesfully.
but when i connectted to oracle ,i can not access to my tables,it show errors : "table or view does not exist" .strangely ,i can user 'select * from cat; ' find these tables.
what's the reason?why i can not access to my tables?
please help me!(my opreation is win2000 sp3,oracle 8.1.6)
Re: where is my table ,my data [message #71430 is a reply to message #71409] Thu, 31 October 2002 15:22 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
"what's the reason?why i can not access to my tables?"

Because you don't have rights to access them. Oracle throws the error "table or view does not exist" when either the object doesn't exists or the user doesn't have rights to access it. Oracle developers explained that the message is better than "You don't have rights to access this object, stupid" to be seen by some CEO running company reports.

Anyway, since those tables came from SQL Server, Oracle doesn't have a clue what kind of rights they should have, so it gave them - none.

Use

GRANT SELECT ON table_name TO user_name;

to fix the problem.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Re: Two challenges with the SQL*Loader tool
Next Topic: Size of a .dmp file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:22:53 CDT 2024