Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Backup / Transport Strategy
Backup / Transport Strategy [message #71410] Wed, 30 October 2002 07:28 Go to next message
Alexander
Hi... Does the exp utility export ALL objects? I need to easily move the contents of a tablespace between various servers. I create all of my objects within a given tablespace: including packages and stored procedures. I will recreate these stored procedures from time to time and do a new export. When I want to refresh a server, I first drop and recreate the tablespace. Then I do an import. But I have noticed that the stored procs/packages are not replaced?

Am I doing something wrong? How can I replace the old stored procedures with the new ones?
Re: Backup / Transport Strategy [message #71433 is a reply to message #71410] Thu, 31 October 2002 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
Since version 9i, Oracle had only user level or full db export/import options. Since user stored procedures, tables, indexes, etc might reside in separate tablespaces, you have to do user level export/import in order to get the whole user objects.

If you want to do tablespace backup/restore then either use trabsportable tablespaces feature or upgrade to 9i , where you can export tablespaces as well.

Of course, there are some tools which will allow you to extract the DDL for any object in the database. Read more about them Here

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Backup / Transport Strategy [message #71438 is a reply to message #71410] Fri, 01 November 2002 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander
Thanks for answering. I'm currently using 8.1.7....

Just to make sure I understand. I am assuming that by running the script below, I will not lose any data and that it will be a good backup.

I have 1 tablespace and all of my procedures and data are in that tablespace (student)

alter tablespace student read only;
exp student/student file=Student.dmp log=studentExport.log compress=n direct=y
alter tablespace student read write;

When I run this, I seem to get all of the data and the procedures. However, to make sure, I wrote another program to extract all of the packages/procedures independently. So to be totally safe, I would run both scripts to get a solid backup... Are my assumptions correct?

On a different note:

I wrote another script to export out the tablespace. When I run it, the size is pretty small and I assume that it is only DDL. Is that right?

alter tablespace student read only;
host exp userid="""student/student as sysdba""" transport_tablespace=y tablespaces=(student)
alter tablespace student read write;
exit;
Re: Backup / Transport Strategy [message #71479 is a reply to message #71410] Sun, 10 November 2002 02:53 Go to previous message
shravan kumar
SOLUTION FOR ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORAY REALM DOES NOT EXIST
Previous Topic: field description
Next Topic: REG ORA-27101 ERROR: SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:14:40 CDT 2024