Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Trying To Load Data WITHOUT Blanks.
Trying To Load Data WITHOUT Blanks. [message #71417] Thu, 31 October 2002 01:46 Go to next message
Lee Bennett
I am devising a generic approach to transferring data from one database to another. The method needs to be applied to future projects and I won't know how many tables there will be, the construct of the tables, etc. My method spools each source table to a separate comma separated flat file. I then use SQL*Loader to load this data into temporary loading tables. Some conversion/filtering is carried out at this stage and I then copy straight into the target database tables. Here's the problem :- What I have found is that spooling the CSV files leaves trailing blanks and these get copied into the target database. I need to remove these blanks at some point in the process and don't know the best way to do it. I can't change the method that I have adopted, I basically just need to incorporate a RTRIM somewhere. Any ideas anyone?
Re: Trying To Load Data WITHOUT Blanks. [message #71421 is a reply to message #71417] Thu, 31 October 2002 05:38 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
i would prefer to handle the trailing nulls, rather RTRIM them, to maintain the integrity of data.
why not u try something like this.
add a "trailing nullcols"
load data
infile 'MyFile.txt'
into table MyTable
fields terminated by ','
optionally enclosed by '"' 
trailing nullcols
(
INSTITUTE_NUMBERS nullif INSTITUTE_NUMBERS="(null)",
BD_BUDG_ROLLUP  nullif BD_BUDG_ROLLUP="(null)",       
IDC_ROLLUP nullif IDC_ROLLUP="(null)",            
OTHER_ROLLUP nullif OTHER_ROLLUP="(null)"            
)
Previous Topic: Sql loader not reading all the records from the file!
Next Topic: Re: Two challenges with the SQL*Loader tool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 10:41:11 CDT 2024