Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » defrag 7.3.4 tables, please help
defrag 7.3.4 tables, please help [message #71441] Fri, 01 November 2002 19:14 Go to next message
Travis Paakki
I am running a 7.3.4 database (please stifle the laughter and upgrade recommendations, for reasons beyond my control, the client refuses).

I am desperate to improve performance. I have the hardware people trying to stripe my disks now, but I'd like to defrag my tables, can anyone whose done this on 7.X give me a step by step, I'm having real trouble locating one.

Also, I was thinking that after that I would drop and then re-add all the indexes in the system. Can I expect any real perf gain?

Thanks
Re: defrag 7.3.4 tables, please help [message #71447 is a reply to message #71441] Mon, 04 November 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
two different way ... ( BACKUP FIRST )
create temporary tables ...
drop main tables and recreate it with correct initial etc...

Use exp/imp
export tables ...
drop them
recreate them with correct initial next ....
and import them ...

don't forget indexes ...
Performance gain depend on fragmentation...
Re: defrag 7.3.4 tables, please help [message #71453 is a reply to message #71441] Mon, 04 November 2002 18:36 Go to previous message
sharan alva
Travis,
To defrag a table the best way would be to export the table, drop the table and import it backin. The indexes you can recreate ( to extract the index creation syntax you can use the indexfilr option of import and then extract the create index from the log file) --> Read the oracle utilities guide on on to use exp imp etc.

To gain performance benefit you can place the indexes on different disk and controller than the table.
Previous Topic: Recovery using Import / Export
Next Topic: overwriting database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 08:52:19 CDT 2024