Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » ORA-12154
ORA-12154 [message #71684] Wed, 18 December 2002 10:35 Go to next message
Stijn R.
Hello

I have installed Oracle 9i (9.0.2) on a RedHat 7.3 Linux computer.

I create three databases with the dbca utility.
I named them f.e. buffer.intranet.netpowersolutions.net and it has as SID buffer.

When I go to sqlplus and I want to start it with the connection command it gives me the error ORA-12154. I allready found out I need a tnsnames.ora file in a certain directory. But I checked it and I can't find it on my computer.

Can somebody help me by telling me how to make the file or how I can do my computer generate it.

Please help me as soon as possible, because I'm getting very stressed with oracle. And I cannot find my answers on their website

Thanks
Re: ORA-12154 [message #71690 is a reply to message #71684] Thu, 19 December 2002 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
in 8i ( may be not in 9i )
tnsnames.ora is located $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
Re: ORA-12154 [message #71692 is a reply to message #71684] Thu, 19 December 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noel
run netca

Noel
Re: ORA-12154 [message #71919 is a reply to message #71684] Wed, 05 February 2003 12:06 Go to previous message
Tony Morabito
Hello Stijn,
Not sure if you resolved your issue yet. I'm not familiar with Oracle on a Linux installation. I am coming from the Windows environment, but I think you can make the parallel on your OS. When you install the Oracle client, it will create a default file called 'tnsnames.ora'. The default directory on Windows is C:OracleOra81networkAdmin. If for some reason this file was not created, I would suggest you re-install the client. The file itself is something you can create very easily assuming the install went ok. You just create a text file with the entries of the server/machine you are connecting to and make sure to change the file extension back to '.ora' after you save. An example entry (replace the 'nnn' 'xxx' 'servername' with your entries):
Database.World =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = servername.domain.xxx.com)(PORT = nnnn))
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = xxx))

Hope that helps.
Tony
Previous Topic: Re: download oracle jobs....oracle ocp kits...sun solaris..db2 guides
Next Topic: Re: SQL*Loader-501 when file size =0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:03:47 CDT 2024