Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » restoring incrementalbackups
restoring incrementalbackups [message #71708] Wed, 25 December 2002 23:11 Go to next message
Niranjan
hai all,
I just want to know why do we need to import the latest incremental bkup first with inctype=system and then the full bkup with inctype=restore.This is given in documnetation.
If you are importing these bkups in to a new database, do we need to follow the same procedure or can import the full bkup and then apply the incrementals or cumulatives?
pls let me know the difference between these procedures like whether they make any difference in the nature of the new database created using these bkups.
Re: restoring incrementalbackups [message #71880 is a reply to message #71708] Tue, 28 January 2003 02:41 Go to previous message
jayharper
I have the same question. My book says to do the inctype=system first. This drops and recreates the existing database objects, in order to redefine all the objects with the new definitions. So, I presume, that this effectively drops all the data for all the tables, in effect, clearing out the entire database. Once all the objects are redefined and the data cleared, you then begin reloading the database with the other export dump files, the oldest complete first, then the following incrementals or cumulatives.

Does anyone know if this is correct/accuracte? My books really do not elaborate enough!
Previous Topic: ORA-00256
Next Topic: Regarding import
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:49:53 CDT 2024