Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » conversions of applications developed in standalone PCs to LAN
conversions of applications developed in standalone PCs to LAN [message #71843] Tue, 21 January 2003 02:44 Go to next message
MEENA SEHGAL
I wanted to enquire that we have received the following softwares from M/S TCS:

1 Oracle Internet Developer Suite on
Windows 95/98/NT/2000, ver 1.0.2.2.0

2 Oracle 8 Personal Edition,
Ver 8.04.0.0 for win 95/NT

3 Oracle 8I Personal Edition,
Ver 8.1.5 for windows98

We intend to develop applications for our use in Oracle package, immediately. At present we have standalone PCs with 32 MB to 64 MB RAM & hard disks upto 10 GB.

While we intend to start the development of the applications immediately we expect to have our network in the next 2-3 months. We propose to acquire one Intel Server with Windows 2000 & one SUN Server with SUN solaris 8 software. The windows server would be the main server and for the convenience of the users, we would like to have a windows based interface at the front-end.

In view of the above I like to have your advise on the following:

APPLICATION STAGE:

1 The oracle modules and other softwares required immediately to make them functional for development of applications & whether these software can be used in the networked environment.
2 Hardware requirements, if any, to load these software.
3 Whether the applications,so developed, would run on Windows 2000/ SUN SOLARIS 8 & UNIX operating systems

IMPLEMENTATION STAGE:

1 The oracle modules and other software we would require for the networked environment to run the applications developed.
Re: conversions of applications developed in standalone PCs to LAN [message #71844 is a reply to message #71843] Tue, 21 January 2003 03:48 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
for any oracle version above 8.0 i would recomend to have atleast 128 megs of ram.
for 8i MINIMUM is 128 ( serverside) and 9i is 256.
Since u are going to run clients, it may not be required that much. Anyhow atleast 128 would be good
for dev environmnet.
I would recomend using SOLARIS / unix for PRODUCTION servers.
ORACLE will work transparently in both windows and Unix environments, except for a few cases ( wherever the reference to filesystem is hardcoded, and in certain administrative tasks).
so using windows machine as server DOES NOT HAVE any particular advantage ( using windows in devlepment nodes / client will definetly help users..)
all u need is,
a Server, installed with oracle.
client nodes, installed with oracle clients.
net8 connection established between the client and server.
Previous Topic: download oracle jobs....oracle ocp kits...sun solaris..db2 guides
Next Topic: SqlServer to Oracle 91
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:12:35 CDT 2024