Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » copy a datafile from one instance to another
copy a datafile from one instance to another [message #72048] Wed, 26 February 2003 11:20 Go to next message
mark judd
i would like to do a unix copy of a production datafile to a test datafile so that the test datafile will look exactly like production.

all documentation says to do an export/import. why can i not just copy the file. what specifically is in the file that could interfer with the data on the test side?

the table definition(s), and table space definitaion and even datfile definition are the same except for the actual unix filename. the internal oracle datfile number thingys (reall technical there) might be and probably are different.

could some one educate me or point me in a direction

thanks
Re: copy a datafile from one instance to another [message #72049 is a reply to message #72048] Wed, 26 February 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
several or one datafile makes  a tablespace.
when records are written to table , in the background, oracle looks for which tablespace is assinged and writes to any available datafile that the tablespace has.
thus table and tablespace are logical.
Datafile is physical.
there is no way to see, which table's record is in which datafile~!.
all u can map is tables and their tablespaces only.
Internally oracle maintains lotsa integrity.
so you cannot plug and play with a single datafile.
But if have transportable tablespaces defined,
then u can unplug it ( from the source) and plug it in(destination). 

Re: copy a datafile from one instance to another [message #72094 is a reply to message #72048] Thu, 06 March 2003 15:29 Go to previous message
Mike
try it out and you will see that it doesnt work.

The best way to clone a database is how Mahesh Rajendran explained it.
Previous Topic: Export view
Next Topic: Direct path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:03:43 CDT 2024