Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » JDBC Thin Driver and Connection for Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows 98
JDBC Thin Driver and Connection for Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows 98 [message #90963] Mon, 14 January 2002 16:06 Go to next message
Jeff Marendo
Hello,

I thought that I would just post this as information for anyone who has had trouble while trying to do any JDBC work with Oracle 8i personal edition for Windows 98. I ran into some trouble initially and had to search around a bit before getting things to work properly.

The problems I encountered:

1. The Oracle class name for the thin driver.

I needed it to use as the argument in the Class.forName() call. Turned out to be "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver". Make sure you have classes12.zip set correctly on your classpath for that.

2. The URL necessary for making a connection to the database.

I was confused on this at first. Turned out to be of the format:

(jdbc driver name):@(host)(port)(sid for datasource)

In the sample program I was using, that corresponded to:

String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:oracle";

3. I was getting an IO error that stated "The Network Adapter could not establish a connection".

Apparently when running Oracle on Windows 98 (and on other OSs, it seems), a listener needs to be up and running. In Windows 98, the listener doesn't start automatically so you have to start it. Open a MS-DOS console and issue the command:

lsnrctl start

That will start it. You should be able to find a bunch of .html files related to that listener under your installation directory to read up on it and the other related material.

Everything worked after that. For those of you who already know this, disregard. But for those of you out there trying to do some JDBC on a Windows 98 client and you have Oracle 8i Personal Edition running on the same machine, perhaps this posting will help out.

Also make sure that your classpath is set similarly to the following:

CLASSPATH=C:javajarsjdbc2_0-stdext.jar;[[ORACLE_HOME]]jdbclibclasses12.zip;[[ORACLE_HOME]]jdbclibnls_charset12.zip
SET path="C:Program FilesOraclejre1.1.7bin";"%path%";
SET Path=[[ORACLE_HOME]]bin;"%Path%"
SET PATH=[[ORACLE_HOME]]jdbclib;"%PATH%"

Jeff
sqlj jdbc driver [message #91036 is a reply to message #90963] Sat, 02 March 2002 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vishnu.s
i have problem in running sqlj programes

i have set three variables
1)ORACLE_HOME=c:oracleora81
2)path=c:jdk1.2bin
3)classpath=c:oraclesqljlib
even after setting these paths i cannot run sqlj programes ,when i give command sqlj <program>.sqlj
and i give java <program>
the program is not working

please tell me what should i do to run the program
Re: sqlj jdbc driver [message #91187 is a reply to message #90963] Mon, 20 May 2002 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
murugesh
i need same type solution
if got ? reply
to me
reg
murugesh
Re: JDBC Thin Driver and Connection for Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows 98 [message #91261 is a reply to message #90963] Thu, 20 June 2002 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shawn Flahave
Thanks you! I'm trying to do the exact same thing with exact same environment, and I'm having the exact same problems that you had... I'm going to try this stuff tonight...
Re: JDBC Thin Driver and Connection for Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows 98 [message #91411 is a reply to message #90963] Fri, 16 August 2002 04:31 Go to previous message
Biju Vargheese
Dear Jeff,

Your comments were useful for me. Thanks a lot!
Previous Topic: Re: How can i load Java
Next Topic: Re: Orcale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:22:45 CDT 2024