Home » Other » Training & Certification » what oracle certification would be best
what oracle certification would be best [message #135400] Wed, 31 August 2005 07:47 Go to next message
ambansal
hi all,

i am a novice in the database industry. I am just stepping into the Data Warehousing Industry and I need to know atleast some basics about how Oracle works to be able to do well in the Data Warehousing Industry. The other day I was trying to use the Oracle Enterprise Manager but I was unable to perform a simple task as creating a user and database with all the privileges.

Should I go for some certification or is there some other way ?
Its really urgent and very very important. Please somebody help me asap. I would really appreciate that.

regards,
amit
Re: what oracle certification would be best [message #135798 is a reply to message #135400] Fri, 02 September 2005 10:29 Go to previous message
bpeasey
Hi Amit,

I usually approach learning in 2 steps (Tutorials followed by use of detail reference material):

1. Get a good tutorial book that will guide you through the basics. A good book will give you a good first pass over the main features and will have exercises to help you get some hands on learning. For example OCA: Oracle 10g Administration I Study Guide (1Z0-042) by Chip Dawes, Bob Bryla, Joseph C. Johnson, Matthew Weishan ISBN: 0-7821-4367-9 Sybex.

2. Read the the Oracle 'Concepts' manual. Then the 'Administrator's Guide'. These are part of the free online (html and pdf) documentation provided by Oracle. Experiment (hands on) as much as you can with what you are reading and find a safe place to ask novice questions with out getting flamed for being a novice.

If you are comfortable after doing steps 1 and 2 then you should consider writing the first 10g exam (OCa). If you are not yet employed, then (imho) an employer will see that a) have initiative and b) have some basic understanding of DBA knowledge; albiet light on hands on experience. If you are not employed, I would not recommend doing the second exam as it will not look well to employeers who will then see you as only a 'Paper OCP'.

Any questions I can help you with please post Smile

Best Regards,
Brian Peasey
http://oracle10gcertification.com

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 10:30]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Exam study groups begin soon.
Next Topic: Datawarehousing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:55:41 CDT 2024