Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Physical standby Failover Issue
Physical standby Failover Issue [message #137876] Sun, 18 September 2005 07:00
its_me_sum
I am not able to perform failover properly. There was one primary database and one physical standby database in my data guard configuration. Both these databases have been set up on the same machine. I just wanted that after failover, standby should be transitioned to primary. And this new primary would not have any standby database. Following were the names, instance names and connection details of primary and standby databases before failover.

The primary database name : stdb
Instance name : stdb
Connect sys/orcl@stdb as sysdba

And the standby database name : orcl
Instance name : orcl
Connect / as sysdba

I have performed all the failover steps on physical standby. Later I realised that my primary database was up and running. Is it a major issue?

Now when I connect to the orcl database and try to find its role, it is still standby as can be seen in the following screen dumps.

SQL> startup mount pfile = c:\initorcl.ora
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 88080384 bytes
Fixed Size 787588 bytes
Variable Size 82836348 bytes
Database Buffers 4194304 bytes
Redo Buffers 262144 bytes
Database mounted.

SQL> select name, database_role from v$database;

NAME DATABASE_ROLE
--------- ----------------
ORCL PHYSICAL STANDBY

I tried opening the database as follows :

SQL> alter database open;

Database altered.

I am able to perform queries but it doesn’t allow me to create tables. This what happens when I try to do so.

SQL> create table e1 as select * from scott.emp;
create table e1 as select * from scott.emp
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-16000: database open for read-only access

So this is confirmed that it is still standby as it is open only for read-only access. I tried to see the status of this standby database:

SQL> SELECT PROCESS, STATUS, SEQUENCE# FROM
V$MANAGED_STANDBY;

PROCESS STATUS SEQUENCE#
--------- ------------ ----------
ARCH CONNECTED 0
ARCH CONNECTED 0

It is not waiting for any log. It seems surely data guard configuration is disturbed.

Can anyone please suggest me if somehow it still possible to complete my failover operation? And if not would I be able to go back to my previous data guard configuration at all.? This a part of my dissertation work and my deadline is approaching, so pls Help!!

If needed I can give the screen dumps of all the steps performed to carry out this failover operation.)

Thankx in advance
Previous Topic: Questions about SWITCHOVER LATENT
Next Topic: urgent:dataguard unable to apply logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:55:02 CDT 2024