Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Informatica
Informatica [message #148249] Wed, 23 November 2005 05:18 Go to next message
renukha

Hi,
Can any one tell what is meant by Incremental load and full load with examples.
Re: Informatica [message #148272 is a reply to message #148249] Wed, 23 November 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Full loading means that you empty the target table and reload it from scratch.

Incremental loading means you only add new data to the target. Existing data remains, data that already has been loaded won't be loaded again.

Off-topic: Can you recommend a site on Informatica? It seems a hot topic and I still can't figure out what it is exactly. I assume it's a Oracle Warehouse Builder equivalent?

HTH,
MHE
Re: Informatica [message #148275 is a reply to message #148249] Wed, 23 November 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiran
Quote:

Can any one tell what is meant by Incremental load and full load with examples.

Not sure ,
we do perform some transactional loads which loads all the daily transactions into edw.Did you mean this is the incremental load.

and i think full load is the load which converts all the source systems data and loads into EDW at a time.And this is a one time process.

Check this data warehouse glossary for more info.

--Kiran.
Re: Informatica [message #153126 is a reply to message #148275] Thu, 29 December 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Maaher,
Yes, Informatica is a like-OWB-product (see www.informatica.com).

Others,

Contrary to previous messages, a full load can be done for a "periodic" update of the datawarehouse too, not only the initial load. To have a true incremental load, you'll have to identify the changed records in the transactional database, and this can be a pretty hard job. So, an option can be to do a full (!) load of (a part of) the required transactional source tables to a temporary area of the targetdatabase and then identify the ones that are different or not yet included in the datawarehouse. Advantage is that the pretty hard job is done by the datawarehouse database & server, not the transactional one.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Informatica [message #153130 is a reply to message #153126] Thu, 29 December 2005 06:24 Go to previous message
Maaher
skooman wrote on Thu, 29 December 2005 13:00

Contrary to previous messages, a full load can be done for a "periodic" update of the datawarehouse too, not only the initial load.
I never used the word "initial" in my message but you are right: a full load can be done periodically and we do so for our SA loads: truncate/insert. It's no use to keep track of changes there.

Thanks for the informatica link.

MHE
Previous Topic: VLD-1119
Next Topic: working with external tables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:08:35 CDT 2024