Home » Other » Training & Certification » As an Oracle DBA? What should I do ?
As an Oracle DBA? What should I do ? [message #155568] Tue, 17 January 2006 04:51 Go to next message
jiexijihe

Embarassed
Please do not misapprehend,until now I just a student of Oracle knowledge.I saw it just want know,as a oracle dba,what should I do? Oracle DBA is my dream.

I have a lot of teacher,they all tech me some knowledge infomations of oracle.In the Oracle world,I found I really like this knowledge and interest in it.So I have a dream,dreaming to be a Oracle DBA,if anyone who could help me,I will be very thank you.
Re: As an Oracle DBA? What should I do ? [message #155676 is a reply to message #155568] Tue, 17 January 2006 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
Look into this dicussion , somewhat similar to what you are talking about.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/57571/72347/
Re: As an Oracle DBA? What should I do ? [message #155704 is a reply to message #155676] Wed, 18 January 2006 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
You say that being a DBA is what you dream of, yet you don't know what the job implies. It's your own choice to live for something you actually don't know but I'd first look around before to jump in too hasty. I found that developing suited me better than DBA tasks so I went for Oracle development.

According to the Oracle manuals (Oracle® Database 2 Day DBA 10g Release 2 (10.2) Part Number B14196-02):
Common Oracle DBA Tasks

As an Oracle DBA, you can expect to be involved in the following tasks:
  • Installing Oracle software
  • Creating Oracle databases
  • Performing upgrades of the database and software to new release levels
  • Starting up and shutting down the database
  • Managing the database's storage structures
  • Managing users and security
  • Managing schema objects, such as tables, indexes, and views
  • Making database backups and performing recovery when necessary
  • Proactively monitoring the database's health and taking preventive or corrective action as required
  • Monitoring and tuning performance
In a small to midsize database environment, you might be the sole person performing these tasks. In large, enterprise environments, the job is often divided among several DBAs, each with their own specialty, such as database security or database tuning.

I suggest you also read the "Oracle® Database Administrator's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) Part Number B14231-01". In chapter one, titled "Overview of Administering an Oracle Database" all the major tasks of a DBA are listed and explained again.

A link to the manuals can be found in the "sticky", the first post in the Newbie forum.

HTH,
MHE
Re: As an Oracle DBA? What should I do ? [message #155728 is a reply to message #155704] Wed, 18 January 2006 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jiexijihe

thanks.
I could understand your means.
Of course I know being a Oracle DBA there is not an easy thing,just a dream,the most interesting of Oracle DBA are the Oracle Development,eg. PL/SQL,Forms and so on.I found some knowledge of Oracle,except Oracle backup and recover,and I also know a lot of thing about structure of Oracle.The Oracle is a world,a full of supernatural,so many parameters,so many procedures and so on,every time I understood something of it,I became very happy,do not ask me why I am so happy,I don`t know,I think it is just my habit.
And now,Our company use Oracle Form for develop,everyone need to know PL/SQL,Form`s function and procedure,so I think the knowledge what I learnt was not enough for me,so I want learn more about Oracle infomations and Oracle Form,include PL/SQL,embedded functions,triggers,views,procedures,but I don`t know how to learn it,at same time I know here all are my teachers and friends,so anyone who could tell me how to learn it?
Re: As an Oracle DBA? What should I do ? [message #155735 is a reply to message #155728] Wed, 18 January 2006 04:13 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
IMHO,
>> The Oracle is a world,a full of supernatural,so many parameters
>> being a Oracle DBA there is not an easy thing,just a dream
Above was just another ballyhoo by a group of select individuals.
I mean, nothing is black magic here and nothing is supernatural.
Fact is, there is a very thin line of difference between Oracle Developer and Oracle DBA ( Do not include development using forms/java/reports etc).
Infact there are too many developers that i can point who are better than DBA's.
The required skill set is 95% the same for both.
It is just the assumed responsibilities that differ.
So if I were you, i would concentrate on Oracle skillsets which are inevitable for both (as well as other job positions like architect/data analyst whatever) and worry about the rest later.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2006 06:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Siebel Training Material
Next Topic: Oracle OCP Developer Certification Path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 02:55:00 CDT 2024