Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Changing Date Formats in Discoverer
Changing Date Formats in Discoverer [message #156763] Fri, 27 January 2006 09:46 Go to next message
sbattisti
Is there any way to convert text to a specific date format in Discoverer 4i?

I have no problem converting dates using TO_DATE, but the dates always go to the default date format of dd-mon-yy.

I need the century to be 4-digits, and the field must be a date field, so I can't just use TO_CHAR.

Any ideas? I'm getting desperate here. Smile

Steve
Re: Changing Date Formats in Discoverer [message #156977 is a reply to message #156763] Mon, 30 January 2006 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi Steve,

You can alter the format in two places:
- in the workbook/sheet (if necessary, use a to_date, then after that choose format data and choose the date format you like)
- in the eul (again, use a to_date, than choose item properties, and change the default format to whatever you like).

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Changing Date Formats in Discoverer [message #157008 is a reply to message #156977] Mon, 30 January 2006 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbattisti
skooman wrote on Mon, 30 January 2006 09:47

You can alter the format in two places:
- in the workbook/sheet (if necessary, use a to_date, then after that choose format data and choose the date format you like)
- in the eul (again, use a to_date, than choose item properties, and change the default format to whatever you like).

Sabine,

It looks like the EUL modification is the best way for me to handle this.

But, just to clarify, is there NO calculation that can be used to format a date into a different format from the NLS Date Format?? That seems awfully strange.

Thanks very much!

Steve
Re: Changing Date Formats in Discoverer [message #157134 is a reply to message #157008] Tue, 31 January 2006 08:31 Go to previous message
skooman
Hi Steve,

Yes you can use another format than the NLS setting. Choose custom (one of the options while formatting data) and type in whatever you like. The only thing that's harder to get around, is the actual language, for example if you work in English, you can't make Discoverer report in French names-of-the-months (full or abbrevated). Reason is that you can't actually change NLS settings for one single Discoverer workbook. Setting them for one session is the most "detailed" option there is. But you don't want to go there with Discoverer Wink

So, what you can do for example (examples given in English): let's say NLS setting is MM-DD-YY but you want Discoverer to display any date like 'DD-MM-YYYY' then format all your date items in the EUL like stated, using the custom option in formatting.

Regards,
Sabine

[Updated on: Tue, 31 January 2006 08:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Is there is no solution ?
Next Topic: Using dis4usr to run & export tab delimited text
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 01:44:59 CDT 2024