Home » Other » Training & Certification » Help required with choice & direction
icon5.gif  Help required with choice & direction [message #173786] Wed, 24 May 2006 07:33 Go to next message
wd_chennai
Hi Co-members,

I'm Will...i'm new here and need help... this question is for all members of this helpful forum who are working in or are aware of ERP technologies(Oracle, SAP or other) - functional & technical areas....

I am basically a Sales/Marketing person with over 3 years experience in IT Sales... regarding my educational background, i completed my B.Tech in IT three and a half years back... somehow landed up in Marketing rather than S/W Development or Technology...

I know a little about ERP Technologies like SAP, Oracle Apps and Peoplesoft, as i was briefly assisting one of the teams in my earlier company in a market research initiative for securing project/implementation contracts in SAP...

I and my colleagues had to quit our jobs recently due to problems in our company... i'm trying to get my career back on track...for a while now, i've been mulling over the idea of getting back into technology - as an ERP Functional or Technical consultant, as i'm quite interested in this field...

My questions are:

1) Since i need a new break in my career, what ERP career path would help me gain a job faster - Oracle or SAP or any other?

2) How easy/difficult is it for someone who has long lost touch with any software learning(in the sense, software development/projects/coding)to learn an ERP Package(functional) like Oracle Apps? and initially, what functional modules should he/she focus on learning?

3) Do i need to know PL/SQL, Oracle DB and related technologies to enter the market as a Functional Consultant? and in the first place, can someone like me (with service sector experience rather than traditional manufacturing or core-industry sector experience) get a job in this line? If yes, how do i go about it?

4) How is the job market in India for Oracle Apps consultants in the long run?... many people i know say since SAP is the market leader, it's safer to acquire knowledge/training along that line... though i feel Oracle technology is superior in certain respects when compared to SAP and vice versa in some other aspects, i am confused as to what to do next to get a job along this line,after learning abt. it... i heard that getting a job in SAP or ERP line is tough...i need a knowledgeable and sincere opinion reg. this...

5) Where can i find materials online (.pdfs, .chms or other e-books) which start from scratch and help one understand the basics? and i'm not referring to pay-sites, please...

6)I live in Chennai(India)... are there any trustworthy tutors or institutes with good faculty where i can learn OraApps? I am not referring to the highly expensive institutes - like Oracle Education themselves - but other relatively less expensive training providers... info abt. authorised centers are okay, but not the ones which charge quite heavily, which i cant afford at this stage in my life...

7) Anyone in this forum who is also currently in Chennai or South India, learning any ERP and trying to get into/just got into this line of career?

Cool Am i doing the right thing in exploring a career along this line? I know the market is hot and everything will be fine once a person gains experience, but is it possible for someone like me, who doesn't know a lot of people in this line, to enter this field within a considerable period of time - a few months?

9) Would any employer be willing to take in an experienced person like me or my colleagues, as a knowldegeable entry-level trainee(for a healthy time-period commitment) and train him along ERP? Any one here who is aware of such opportunities? The reason i ask is, all of you who are working would realise how hard it is to be unemployed for a period of time... financially and otherwise...

I sincerely thank all of you who have spent time in reading this... i know it's difficult to sympathize and empathize in this day and age, where time is truly difficult to find... i honestly appreciate the time u have spent to read the questions of a co-struggler...

Hope to hear from you all.

Regards,

Will.
Re: Help required with choice & direction [message #173789 is a reply to message #173786] Wed, 24 May 2006 07:51 Go to previous message
gogula77
Hi,

I read your letter. I can understand your position.

First of all you decide to learn a particular product (SAP/Oracle),then you decide functional or technical modules.

I guess that you are in a unique position, and you have to take decision yourself.

And after that you concentrate on the class room session and practice a lot. You may or may not get the job you want but if you practice well and gain command on the subject, you can atleast work as a lab coordinator or lab faculty in any SW institute in chennai for some time and after that you will definetely get a decent job with decent pay.

ALL THE BEST

GOGULA
Previous Topic: Queries
Next Topic: Oracle JDeveloper and J2EE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:17:12 CDT 2024